ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris-ask-expert-fond-memory-old-polaris-tech/)
-   -   axle removal problem (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris-ask-expert-fond-memory-old-polaris-tech/337463-axle-removal-problem.html)

jeremyd 05-28-2011 10:22 PM

axle removal problem

I read as much as I could today about removing my axle so I am at the point where I am taking it out of the transmission but its jammed on there... can I change the cv inner boot with out taking it right off? I've been pulling for the last half an hour and it just wont come off

old polaris tech 05-28-2011 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by jeremyd (Post 3034227)
I read as much as I could today about removing my axle so I am at the point where I am taking it out of the transmission but its jammed on there... can I change the cv inner boot with out taking it right off? I've been pulling for the last half an hour and it just wont come off

If you have a little help ,the better it is on removal.First I would soak around the plunging joint with PB Blaster,plus heat around it if necessary. Make sure the upper a arm is out of the way and while you have someone holding the atv from moving (plus if he had a long pry bar behind joint would help) then you use short,rapid jerks on drive shaft. MAY take several attempts before shaft finally comes out. I've had some really tough ones,but eventually they will come out especially with the PB and heat. OPT

stendori 05-29-2011 05:34 AM

use alot of penetrating lube. that little circlip on the shaft is a pain but it will come out. way easier taking the cv shaft out to work on it.

Kerbbirds 05-29-2011 07:59 AM

I hook a slide hammer with a small chain to them when their tough, acouple whacks and they come out

mrtwostroke 05-29-2011 12:11 PM

the cv joint came apart on my 05 800, when trying to remove them from the rear diff.
so i pulled one right apart. welded a nut to the remaining peice and put the threaded slide hammer on it. mine were clicking so i replaced both axles.

old polaris tech 05-29-2011 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrtwostroke (Post 3034281)
the cv joint came apart on my 05 800, when trying to remove them from the rear diff.
so i pulled one right apart. welded a nut to the remaining peice and put the threaded slide hammer on it. mine were clicking so i replaced both axles.

Yeah,that was was the worst part when they brought em in for boots and the drive shafts were already shot! After pulling a couple apart and having a 3 or even a 2 legged "dog" to move around the shop until we got new ones in,I stared telling them right off on the click clacking worn out ones, CAN"T guarantee a new boot would help and more than likely I would pull the damn thing apart doing so! Some I could convince to just go ahead and order the drive shafts,some had to see for themselves! POINT is always check your boots often,replace before any damage can happen AND when they are just plain worn out,Just go ahead and bite the bullet! OPT

TLC 05-31-2011 06:24 AM

Its crazy that Polaris does note put "Never Seize" on the spine at the factory,there work manual tells you to put it on, but they do not!