Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Charging Problem only on Hot Days?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Problem only on Hot Days?

I'm having an issue with my brother's old 400 not charging as it should when out on long rides when it's hot out; when I check it, its charging as advertised, but the last two long rides we went on, both on very hot days, the battery is down below 12 volts when we got back home and it would not turn over the starter. Everything checks out on the charging system and both the battery and regulator are less than a few months old. Both times, I found nothing wrong and simply recharged the battery and it would do fine until the next long haul with the outside temps around 100 degrees.

My question is, has Polaris had any issues with the regulator not operating correctly when hot? I mean it's over 100 degrees out and the regulator is tucked away right next the the radiator, so I can only guess how hot it is getting. The issue is not a real show stopper, as he has a rope starter as well and it will start right up with it and it has never failed to get him back to the trailer after 4 or 5 hours of riding. just trying to understand what's going on with it.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Can't remember if any charging issues with regulators when temperature is high on any machines. Even though battery is a month old,I'd load test it as we have had some bad straight out of the box on numerous occasions! Plus if any battery has had the worst rep for problems(at least in our area) its the Wallyworld Everstart batteries! Yuasa and Interstate the best imo. Plus If battery checks out ok,for grins and giggles,just take a volt meter along on the next hot ride and check the output back to the battery when its good and hot,engine wise and temp wise.Do admit right by the radiator ain't Kosher! Should be where a little cooler air can get to it!OPT