ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris-ask-expert-fond-memory-old-polaris-tech/)
-   -   2003 Trail Boss slipping/grinding noise (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris-ask-expert-fond-memory-old-polaris-tech/340801-2003-trail-boss-slipping-grinding-noise.html)

Burton101 10-31-2011 10:28 PM

2003 Trail Boss slipping/grinding noise

Hello, I am a rookie atv owner, I bought a trail boss a few weeks ago. It has started to make a grinding noise sounds like its coming from the transmisson or front of chain. The first time it happend I could rev the engine up in gear and it wouldn't move then it would eventually get going. I thought it was the belt on the clutches and changed that. It didn't make a difference, any help would be greatly appreciated

old polaris tech 10-31-2011 10:38 PM

Welcome to the forum! Check the front and rear sprockets for damage/missing teeth along with chain slack(should have no more than about 1/2" slack) If sprockets are ok,could be the internal transmission "silent" chain has stretched, jumping teeth on the forward drive gear. OPT

Burton101 10-31-2011 10:41 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, I noticed u said jumping teeth on the forward gear, it does it in reverse as well, I'm hoping its just the drive chain, splitting open that tranny sounds expensive

old polaris tech 10-31-2011 10:53 PM

If its the silent chain its only about 50 bucks,JUST the trouble of getting the trans out and tearing apart is the hard part! Just check the sprockets out carefully,PLUS the front drive sprocket can strip out on the trans output splines also and cause the slipping problem!! Have had a few of the older models do this! Good luck OPT

Burton101 10-31-2011 10:57 PM

Thanks OPT, any idea how many hours a polaris dealer will charge for that repair? If it is indeed the silent chain?

Burton101 10-31-2011 10:59 PM

How much side to side play should a front sprocket have?

old polaris tech 10-31-2011 11:02 PM

If it is transmission related call a couple dealers to get a quote OR invest in a manual and save some $$.
Forgot what the flat rate book called for,but I think somewhere along 3.5-4 hrs shop labor plus parts! OPT

old polaris tech 10-31-2011 11:05 PM

There will be side to side play! Just check the sprocket for damage,plus check for stripped splines also on the front sprocket! OPT

Burton101 10-31-2011 11:07 PM

Thanks for your help, will post reply when I got it figured out! As I have seen many others posts with the same problem but not many shared the solution! Hahaha

Burton101 11-07-2011 01:23 AM

UPDATE: I have changed the front sprocket and chain, the noise is still there. I am almost positvie it is coming from the primary clutch. I rode it a bit with the cover off so I could look at the clutches to see if I could notice anything. At one point it almost looked like it was bending toward the back of the bike. I also noticed some wear on the clutch almost like grooves where the spider is attached. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong. The bike seems to run and move ok. Just a grinding noise coming from what I'm sure is the primary clutch.