Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

03 330 magnum fan...manual switch vs thermistor

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 330 magnum fan...manual switch vs thermistor

OK, so I have read a bunch about the fan thermistor, "auxiliary" oil cooler, and the actual need for a fan on these machines.
I know that over the years the fan has worked and come on. not real often but it has been needed. When I got it new back in 04 the thermistor was bad from the dealer, he gave me a new one and I installed it myself. Now, in 2011, it overheated while plowing snow, I could actually smell it was hot. So I wired in a manual switch and essentially bypassed the thermistor.
I have read that this machine actually has an "auxilary" oil cooler and is essentially an air cooled machine and under normal use the fan really won't need to come on ..
When we ride I have the fan running 100% of the time ...SO my question is "should I get the thermistor fixed? amd I hurting the battery, charging system, anything runing the fan this much? Do I need to run the fan this much?

Thoughts ?

And if I were to change this thermistor out is there a cross ref no. I can buy that is cheaper than the stock Polaris part at about $70 ?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You 330 is air and oil cooled and you're right they don't kick on unless the oil in the oil cooler is super hot! A lot of machines are just air cooled only and never really have problems. If you run the fan constantly you're just going to wear the fan motor out. I'd either get the thermistor or either have a toggle switch to turn it on under heavy loads or temps. OPT