ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris-ask-expert-fond-memory-old-polaris-tech/)
-   -   Head Bolts wont break loose (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris-ask-expert-fond-memory-old-polaris-tech/346876-head-bolts-wont-break-loose.html)

jampg 10-16-2012 06:19 PM

Head Bolts wont break loose

I going in for the tear down since I have a huge knock.
2003 predator 500 four stroke...
I got the two LH head bolts out but cannot break loose the two RH. I got the first little snap but thats all I get. I do not want to strip these so I walked away.

How do I break these loose without stripping them? DANG!
Thanks.

old polaris tech 10-16-2012 07:49 PM

PB Blaster is a good penetrating oil if you can get it down to the cylinder threads and let it soak over night. You also may need a heat gun to heat around the cylinder base. This should loosen up stubborn bolts. Also a good 3/8 air impact can help vibrate the bolts loose if you have room to use one rather than a ratchet. OPT

yoopermike 10-16-2012 09:54 PM

X2 on the PB Blaster.........that is some good stuff. After you got that first snap while loosening did you try to tighten the bolt at all? Sometimes that works.

jampg 10-17-2012 08:15 PM

I took the impact wrench to the bolts and that did the trick. The last one took it's time but it came out.

Thanks for the tips.

jampg 10-21-2012 08:23 AM

Update

Well.. the stinkin piston pin circlips were missing and the pin slid out and started scrubbing the cylinder wall. Man that make a lot of noise when that happens....

The clips are nowhere to be seen. Maybe at the bottom of the case somewhere. I got a price of 350-400 for a new sleeve install, new piston assembly and gasket kit from some joint in Ohio. My boat mechanic is recommending I go this route and he is handling the logistics. He said this is a repair kit for this engine and should work fine.

My plan now is to split the lower case and see if I can find the circlips and do some house cleaning in there. I wish I could find the clips without splitting the lower case.....

old polaris tech 10-21-2012 11:15 AM

Have had that happen before when a clip wasn't installed properly and would knock out the other also and destroy a cylinder with the piston pin also. Good luck on the cylinder sleeve kit instead of having it replated. OPT

jampg 10-21-2012 12:07 PM

cylinder repair

I'm not sold on the sleeve yet. Actually I'm a bit unsure of it. I see sleeve's online for this engine but not sure if its the right way to go.
I'm still considering Langcourt for a weld and replate. Probably the better way to go.

old polaris tech 10-21-2012 01:10 PM

If they supply their own pistons I would be a little leery as to having a cast iron bore also. Don't think the std Predator piston rings were designed work in a cast iron bore so you couldn't inter change if need be,plus if you had to replace this piston and rings and couldn't find a replacement,back to a replating job anyway! Best really to stay with the replated cylinder and stock piston for it I guess. The cost shouldn't be much different I would think. OPT

jampg 10-22-2012 10:34 AM

Piston

What brand of piston should I consider for this 03 Predator 500 engine?
Wiseco, Vertex, JE, Pro-X, SPI , Wossner.....

old polaris tech 10-22-2012 03:07 PM

Wiseco! 4807M09920 Product Detail Information - Wiseco Piston Inc. OPT