Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

What a bad day! Overheating, lost battery and solenoid ripped off, and recoil stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a bad day! Overheating, lost battery and solenoid ripped off, and recoil stuck.

Ill try to not make a novel of this, i have a few issues i need to resolve.
Went about 20 miles and saw the overflow spurting out coolant.
Told my GF to STOP!!!!!!

1. Handlebar Switch (New one on order) is a little screwy, have to jiggle to keep the odometer running, headlights, and AWD on.
*My GF might have not left it on, and ran it, could this cause to overheat because the FAN WILL NOT turn on without the jiggle.

2. Battery, Solenoid, battery cables, AND TIE DOWN on order. (Lesson Learned!)

3. I just replaced the recoil because the plastic parts broke, and pulled it once and started. Over heated again so i turned it off.
Now its stuck with the rope not going back in. Ideas??

Finally home after 20 miles of pushing her quad up and down the hills with my 600.....

Old 12-09-2012, 03:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I've seen my share of batteries ripping terminals off along with solenoids when they lost a strap or didn't have one to begin with. Pull the recoil housing and loosen the 10 mm bolt and see if the rope will retract back in. If it does remove the friction plate and grease the back side of the plate thoroughly with any good grease. Use a little loctite on the bolt and replace the plate and test the recoil.I think you need to give it a rest until the switch comes in. Plus when you get it all back together and the fan is working properly, leave the radiator cap off until the fan cycles on and off a couple times to remove any trapped air then top off the radiator and over flow bottle. OPT

Old 12-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GEEZUZ!, youre the man! I will definitely do this!

THanks for your help!