ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris-ask-expert-fond-memory-old-polaris-tech/)
-   -   Polaris Magnum 325 4x4 (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris-ask-expert-fond-memory-old-polaris-tech/352218-polaris-magnum-325-4x4.html)

joeo31763 07-28-2013 08:23 PM

Polaris Magnum 325 4x4

I just purchased a 2001 on friday as a project I could work on and fix it up. I got it running but the shifter will not go into any gears (H,L, or Reverse) seems to be stuck. Where should I start at?

Thanks.

old polaris tech 07-28-2013 08:49 PM

Hopefully it's not an internal gear case problem,but just needs the linkage to be adjusted. These models were bad on this until the straight line shifters came out.Disconnect the linkage ends from the shift box,pop the lever in neutral. You can use vice grips to lock on the gear case levers(belcranks) to get the machine into neutral. May take a little wigging on the low range at the front after you move the rear into neutral. The rear gear case lever should stick straight out from the gear case(this is neutral) Once the machine can roll, adjust the rod ends until they drop straight into the gear box arms with NO pulling or force. Then tighten the linkage lock nuts and see if it shifts.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Having a good manual helps. Either a hard cover one from Ebay or a cheap 5 buck pdf like this to keep on the computer. This is a 2002,but basically the same as yours.2002 Polaris Magnum 325 Service Manual PDF Download

joeo31763 07-28-2013 08:53 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. I will try that tomorrow.

joeo31763 07-29-2013 08:49 PM

Here's what i found, some bad ... but overall good.
I looked at the transmission to see if it had any fluid in it... It was bone dry. I looked underneath and found that it was missing the drain plug. So I found a bolt that fit that and poured in some ATV oil. I filled it up and then hooked up my other fourwheeler to it and started pulling it. I figured this would throw the oil around inside the transmission. After about 5 minutes of pulling it. I took some channel locks and started to try to move the linkage. It finally broke free and started moving. I played with it for about 5 more minutes moving it back and forth. Now it shifts fine. I am going to change the oil out in the morning and fill it backup. I have some more questions... but I am going to search the forums first.

Thank you.

old polaris tech 07-29-2013 08:55 PM

Wish you a lot of luck on this one!

joeo31763 10-29-2013 12:27 PM

Okay soooo. Transmission tore up. I bought four new bearings and a new chain. I have one question before I put it back together. On this diagram Polaris ATV Parts 2001 A01CD32AA MAGNUM 325 4X4 MAIN GEARCASE Diagram
number 50 is slack. It can move around, should that gear be tight just the other gears? The fourwheeler is a great bike btw... when it is working right. I want to get this thing running for hunting season.

Thank you.

old polaris tech 10-29-2013 01:42 PM

Helical gear will have a little slack,but look at the splines on the gear and the shaft for excessive wear.