Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

02 Magnum Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Magnum Ball Joints

I am trying to replace some worn ball joints on a 2002 magnum 325 2X4. I have it pulled apart to where I can see the bottom of the ball joint completely. I fashioned a puller using a pipe that would seat around the outside of the ball joint and rest on the strut arm. I used the heaviest washer I could find that would still let the threads on the ball joint stick through enough to thread the nut back on. I am trying to use the threads of the ball joint as my pulling source. I was under the impression that the ball joint should come out fairly easy and the new one could be installed using a driver. So far the only thing to give up has been me and the washers. I see reference to a Polaris tool 2870871 that uses a bolt threaded inside and out to grab the ball joint. Has anybody got any suggestions on what I'm doing right/wrong or an easier method.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Even with the Polaris ball joint puller I had to use a torch to heat the strut up. Makes it so much easier. Try this and see if it works. If you end up pulling the threaded socket out(a lot of people do),you can tack weld a bolt in the ball joint cup and use a slide hammer. People have come up with all sorts of ways to pull one without the tool. Your tool description sounds like the one on ebay.Polaris ATV Ball Joint Removal Tool Polaris Lower Ball Joint Puller Tool | eBay
Plus here's one guys method.
Polaris 4x4 broken ball joint removal - YouTube
Plus all sorts of home made tools people have used for pulling ball joints..

Attached Thumbnails 02 Magnum Ball Joints-sm102_2784.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

Some have had success by using a grease gun. Grease the zerk (if u have one) and the joint will most times be pushed out....
If stubborn , use heat , should loosen up enough to be pulled out with your washer and nut set up.On install, put your ball joint in the freezer for a few hrs, it should easily slide in after that.

Kevin

Old 06-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.