Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2001 Polaris Scrambler 50 no spark CDI Box ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDI box for Polaris Scrambler 50

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Check the stator also as it seems I replaced more of them than any other electronic part.Just the way the plastic stator cover was designed let a a lot of dirt and water in shorting a bunch of stators. Make sure you don't have to much slack at the thumb throttle or the etc switch can cause spark loss also.Pull the black wire from the cdi and see if you have spark.If you do have spark,could be an ignition switch problem or internal kill circuit on the cdi module.If you don't have spark,pull the stator wires and check resistance. Black to w/r 450 ohms,black to Blk/Red 800 ohms,Blk to Y/R 0.5 ohms,Blk to white 0.6 ohms.Black to ground should not zero out.
Old CDI box has 6 wires new one has 7 how do I hook it up?

Old 05-06-2020, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Still no spark

I replaced cdi box and stator and all new switches and tether. Cranks over and I put spark plugs on the motor or frame. It Sparks from plug to frame but no spark on plug itself I have to be missing something.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:58 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James Smart
I replaced cdi box and stator and all new switches and tether. Cranks over and I put spark plugs on the motor or frame. It Sparks from plug to frame but no spark on plug itself I have to be missing something.
Are you sure you have a good plug ? If you have spark at the wire on the frame, and no spark when you put it on the plug, there's nothing else there but the plug.

The following users liked this post:
Bigslim (07-25-2023)
Old 05-07-2020, 11:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Still no spark

Originally Posted by tekrsq
Are you sure you have a good plug ? If you have spark at the wire on the frame, and no spark when you put it on the plug, there's nothing else there but the plug.
i used multiple plugs. I've never seen it before. Put the plug in and ground the sparkplug to the frame or motor and it sparks between the frame and the medal on spark plug but no spark in the spark plug itself. Just messed up. Never ran into this before. Idk if it's a ground issue. I can make a video when I get out of work.