Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2010 sportsman 500 blinking battery indicator

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 sportsman 500 blinking battery indicator

I am having an issue with my 2010 sportsman the quad sat for a long time but we took it out and fired it back up .
Everything works fine including the charging system however the battery indicator light is flashing as well as the needle .
We have checked the charging system its charging to a max of 14.4 volts at high engine rpm and 13.5 at idle under heavy electrical load at idle .
Wtf is going on? The diagnostic mode shows the charging system at .7volts? yet the system is working fine .
I think the sensing wire to the speedo head must be open but cant figure out what wire tells the speedo head what voltage is being produced by the charging system .Can any polaris tech shed some light on this? the quad works fine but the blinking is driving me nuts!!!!

Old 09-13-2015, 12:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it sat without a trickle charger on the battery(or even if it has) the charging system may be good but the battery may be sulfated and may not be able to hold the charge it's receiving. Charge the battery up fully and have it load tested. May need to be replaced.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Starts and runs fine lots of cranking power and battery was left on trickle charger while quad sat for 14 months. Its just the signal voltage to the speedo which say its only got .7 of a volt ?? How does the speedo head receive the signal of what system voltage is on the bike? It must come in on one of the wire going to the head?

Old 09-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can pull the connector from the speedo and see if it resets,but I'd still have the battery checked out because if it can't hold the charge from the regulator,the speedo can show faulty info. The battery indicator light is there mainly to let you know somethings wrong to begin with and usually this can be traced right back to the battery itself.Even a loose connection or ground can do the same thing.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok swapped battery with one of the other quads I have with six month old battery installed regularly used. I still have the same problem .I do agree that it is most likely a connection what I am trying to figure out is what wire the cluster looks at to determine what system voltage is ?I have been looking at the diagram trying to figure it out but just cant seem to get anywhere. Took the connections apart at the battery cleaned them as well as the battery connection on the solenoid. I will try and work my way forward. It would be nice to go right ot the connector at the speedo and be able to pin the wire out there instead

Old 09-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Don't have the 2010 manual but if you do, look at section 10 on the speedo tests. Shows about 8 different tests(if like most manuals) on the 16 pin connector and each function and which pins to test. The red is the main power wire on all the speedos and should show constant battery voltage,12 volts key off or on. Red/white is powered up by the switch. The rest is just checking pin to pin by the manual. Slow process but you probably can narrow it down. Plus don't over look the connector pins themselves and pin alignment with the speedo. If any pins are bent or pushed back in the connector speedo readings can fluctuate or trigger false readings to show up.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for youre help so far checked my manual found the wiring you were talking about checked the red wire and red/white tracer the switched ignition wire is substantially lower in voltage hopefully this will lead me in the right direction. Still the indicator in diagnostic mode only reading 7 tenths of a volt puzzles me ?

Old 09-15-2015, 09:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Still no joy I was told of a small chip inside the speedo head that measures current and voltage .Do you have any knowledge of this? I have cleaned all other battery ground and positive connections I have found ? Any other ideas?

Old 09-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Only thing about the speedo is what I've seen that a couple of people have posted on repairing theirs with no display. If you happen to have a friend that might have the same model that can you swap out to see if it's an internal speedo problem would be good,but doesn't happen often that people are able to do this.I could just swap one out at the shop if I had doubts. This might be an older speedo but here's what a poster named Tatertots did.AWD and Speedometer don't work - Page 2 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 09-16-2015, 07:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

what soeedu will interchange with a 2010 500 ho

Quick Reply: 2010 sportsman 500 blinking battery indicator