Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

800 Sportsman won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800 Sportsman won't start

07 sportsman 800 had diagnostic test done ECU okay replace Tmap hardness-starter and dendix- plugs-fuel injectors-fuel filter-new gas and battery.Started right up ran 20 sec. died hasn't started since been trying three days. Turns over great getting fuel and spark. PLEASE HELP

Old 10-26-2015, 09:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Deja vu ? Think I saw this post earlier. Look at the "sticky"post above this section on 700/800 efi wiring problems. Most efi problems are wiring related 80% of the time like the manual states. Usually a t bap connector or wiring short was the most common problem along with an occasional tps harness short. Look over the wiring from these sensors leading into the main harness for any bare or soft feeling wires that could be melted internally. The stick post addresses this and how to get better repair kits than what Polaris offered.Sometimes you can even wiggle the sensor wiring and see a change in the way an engine runs or in your case it may even try to back fire or try to crank. Plus another area for shorts is the crank sensor wiring that runs under the throttle body. All it takes is for one small strand of wire rubbing against the starter or engine block to kill spark. Sometimes codes are thrown,sometimes not. If you've ruled out a fuel pump as being a problem,then a harness short is most likely the cause. Here's the place to get stronger connectors and kits. Only The Best

Old 11-19-2015, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi all. I am also having trouble with 09 800 two up. I bought Tps sensor tester. I hooked up and it moves evenly from open to close. Volts climb evenly with out jumps on my meter. I have read a lot about wire harness to the Tps sensor being bad Is this from the sensor back or from the plug to sensor? Also what is sticky post? New to site. Thanks for help

Old 11-20-2015, 08:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Duane1
Hi all. I am also having trouble with 09 800 two up. I bought Tps sensor tester. I hooked up and it moves evenly from open to close. Volts climb evenly with out jumps on my meter. I have read a lot about wire harness to the Tps sensor being bad Is this from the sensor back or from the plug to sensor? Also what is sticky post? New to site. Thanks for help
Look above the expert section and you'll see the "sticky" post section.We didn't have as many problems with the tps harness as we had with the tbap connector and wiring.Either one can cause problems if the wiring is shorted or wires pulled back from the connectors. Not so much a problem with the sensors themselves. Just physically check the wiring from the tps and tbap sensors down in to the main harness for any bare wires or soft feeling wires. Plus check the crank sensor wiring that goes under the throttle body. Just one little bare wire there touching the starter or engine case can keep an engine from starting. Sometimes if you jiggle the wires when trying to start can help find the problem. If it back fires or cranks,that particular harness would be at fault. After reading the sticky post on efi problems,it leads to this place for good repair kits. Only The Best Note: You do have the one piece tps sensor and harness built in,possible the wiring could be at fault and the whole sensor may need to replaced if replacing the tbap(tmap) harness kit doesn't solve the problem.Item #19 is the tps.http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...009&fveh=30482BUT if the vdc voltage is smooth and even,no jumps as you said,then I'd say the tps sensor is ok and not the problem.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for info. Getting snow storm today so hope to spend time looking into this weekend. I have a two piece Tps. The plug is triangle shaped. I did get it to start once when moving wires on the two sensors just not sure which ones did it. It's back to not starting and that is when I joined up. When reading wire trouble I was not sure if it was from plug to sensors or plug to main harness. Looking forward to finding problem and will post that.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Also I don't think I can see the expert section yet for sticky post area. The only thing above first post is rules on site. After 15 posts it goes away. Am I looking in right spot??? Or will it be there

Old 11-21-2015, 07:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!