Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Counter balance broken, water pump shaft and oil pump shaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Counter balance broken, water pump shaft and oil pump shaft

Well I'm testing another post. Seems as a newbie I can't post with pictures as I did one yesterday that disappeared with the message that it needed moderator approval. Sent a PM on that but still waiting. So maybe I'll reply to this post another 15 times to get to my 20.

So I got my ATV back together from the trans rebuild and prior to buttoning everything up decided to fire it up to check other things. When I loaded it the kid said the hot light came on. So I took a couple of laps around the driveway and the hot light came on. Took it back into the shop and the radiator was cold. So tore into the water pump. When I pulled it apart the water pump shaft was broken off clean at the big gear. The oil pump drive gear was broken off at the base also. Needless to say there were lost of missing teeth on the big gear and on the gear on the crank. The bearings were rough but not locked up.

So I wish I could show you pictures but that seems to not be allowed.

Any ideas why this would happen? I want to make sure if there are other issues I solve them while I'm in it.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Trying to remember what machine you have??

Old 01-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tried to post an inserted pic again....no dice wouldn't even let me insert it.

So here's a direct link to one of the images.

http://www.mikesjunk.com/misc/polaris2.jpg

14 more posts to go.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here's another link to a picture showing the pieces.

http://www.mikesjunk.com/misc/polaris1.jpg

13 to go

Old 01-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry OPT forgot that in this thread as I was distracted trying to figure out this picture thing.

It's a 1993 Sportman 4x4

Old 01-03-2016, 04:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This is the first 350/400 counter balancer I've seen that had the water pump shaft snap off like this in 23 years of working on these machines. Looks like it just locked up,tore up the teeth and snapped the shaft. Could have been the internal bearing or the large bearing froze or could have been at the oil pump itself. Regardless,looks like a new counter balancer and crank gear are in your future..

Old 01-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I'm becoming way to familiar with the insides of this machine. I have new bearings, seals and a crank gear coming. I'm taking a chance on a used counterbalance off ebay as the $500 new price is overwhelming. Especially after the $300 plus just dropped in the trans repairs. I'm going to be getting a few UPS deliveries soon.

Just want to make sure nothing else is wrong so I don't see this again.

The best part was trying to get the broken oil pump driver gear out. So I magnetized a screwdriver and was able to get it to spin and bounce and somewhat stick to the screwdriver. It eventually came out so I could get a blind hole bearing puller to get the back bearing out.

So when this goes back together does the counter balance oil gear spin its way back onto the oil pump gear? Any tips for reassembly?

Old 01-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

What I'd do is pull the oil pump and pull the worm gear off that's driven by the c/b oil pump gear. Oil pump gear is just pinned on. Of course you'd have to premix unless you already are premixing to begin with. Check any used c/b big bearing as they are the first to go. Assembly is straight forward but you do have to heat the case area around where the c/b bearings fit to make assy easier. Plus always remember to bleed the screw at the head to remove any air pockets from the coolant lines or it will over heat quickly. If you can rebuild a 350 or 400 engine all the other Polaris engines are a snap to work on..

Old 01-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

And I'm sure my dad thought he got a deal at the auction as I'm sure this thing started, ran and moved. And now I have it. I don't mind working on things just hate paying for the parts.

I picked up a free 1988 Kawasaki Bayou from my sister that's next in line if I get this one going. She said, "It runs great just smokes a lot". Well I know it hasn't ran for over 3 years so I'm sure it will be fun also.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you can get that old 93 running sell it quick! Just guessing on the Bayou,I'd say a new piston and rings and possibly valve guide seals and she should run good if it's just smoking. Best of luck to ya..