Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2012 polaris 850 xp 520194-7

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 polaris 850 xp 520194-7

had a code pop on this machine i just bought from my sister. the bike only has 1200 kilometers on it and had no throttle response kept bogging down under load was spitting a 520194-2 code. dealer had already replaced throttle cable once I adjusted the cable until the code and engine light disappeared fixed! nope. took it out on the road hit the throttle it would only hit 32 kilometers per hour and felt like it was being held back. so I worked the throttle on and off multiple times and it felt like something let go. took of and had good throttle response and was working excellent but immediately showed 520194-7 throttle stuck code. The bike I would idle all day long perfectly with both codes. can you help me out?

Old 08-15-2017, 08:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Shouldn't have to adjust throttle to make any codes disappear. Throttle has a setting adjustment in the manual where the etc contacts are closed, the throttle arm should have 2-3mm clearance between it and the throttle housing stop pin. You might try to spray out the throttle body with electrical contact spray and see if that helps. Wiggle the tps and tbap wiring harness and see if the engine rpms change.Most common problem on efi machines was bare wire or soft wires that have melted internally.Better sensor harness repair kits are offered here.https://otbpowersports.com/products/ If you don't have a manual here's a cheap one that possibly can help on efi trouble shooting steps.2012 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO Service Manual PDF Download

Old 08-19-2017, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Shouldn't have to adjust throttle to make any codes disappear. Throttle has a setting adjustment in the manual where the etc contacts are closed, the throttle arm should have 2-3mm clearance between it and the throttle housing stop pin. You might try to spray out the throttle body with electrical contact spray and see if that helps. Wiggle the tps and tbap wiring harness and see if the engine rpms change.Most common problem on efi machines was bare wire or soft wires that have melted internally.Better sensor harness repair kits are offered here.https://otbpowersports.com/products/ If you don't have a manual here's a cheap one that possibly can help on efi trouble shooting steps.2012 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO Service Manual PDF Download
thx for the reply. since my last post I put the bike away and when I started it up yesterday all codes were cleared worked great took it for a short ride and when I fired it up today the signal out of range code is back. I appreciate the info and will have to dig a little deeper this time adjusting throttle cable DoD nothing so I will have to do some more work. thanks again your help is very much appreciated

Old 08-20-2017, 06:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Intermittent problems along with codes that appear and disappear are still usually wiring harness related.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know this is an old post but it might help someone in the future. I have a 2012 sportsman 850 ho had similar issues adjusted cable dealer put new one on problem wasn't fixed. bike was spitting different codes every time I adjusted cable so I looked up specs for idle and adj cable to that rpm and noticed while I was playing with the cable my hand was leaning on the 5 wires going into the throttle control module and a different code came up. signal out of range, then throttle stuck 3 different codes every time I played with the cable so I pushed in on the wires bottom left of the thumb throttle and code cleared pulled out on them and spit a different code. I could play a tune with throttle codes doing this. after working these wires in and out 10 or 12 times all codes cleared and haven't had a problem since. the bike only has 1200 km on it so it was a bad connection on one of the pins.