Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

94 Polaris 300 4x4 compression problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 94 Polaris 300 4x4 compression problems

I have a 94 300 4x4 that I killed about 3 weeks ago. Hot day, idled for a while to charge battery, took for ride and on way home started acting up. Shut down when I stopped, re-started but only when giving fuel. Would not run properly, had to give 1/2 - 3/4 throttle to get her to go. Got to end of driveway and she shut down for good. Would not fire at all. Quick check for spark, good. Hit the forum, and have learned a lot. Compression test showed 50 lbs or so. Followed advice found on previous posts and re-did the top end. Just finished. Still showing only 80 - 85 lbs. Rings, piston, wrist pin & all gaskets. Torqued head to 20 lbs. Bolts on bottom of jug could not be torqued as there is no way to get at 2 of them with neither of my torque wrench's. Thightened using criss-cross pattern, a little at a time. Specs I found say 29 lbs. but could only guess at it. What am I missing? What could cause my compression to still be so low? And when the battery gets a full charge, should I actually try starting it? I like the machine and am not giving up on it. Old rings were stuck in the piston groves on 1 side and the old piston was scored and 1 side of skirt damaged from hitting bottom edge of cylinder.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.