Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

05 Sportsman 500HO, Reverse Override Button doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Sportsman 500HO, Reverse Override Button doesn't work

On my 05 Sportsman 500HO I just bought the Reverse Override button will not work while riding or will not work to change the Information Display, RPM,Trip, ect... I can get into the diagnostic mode and show V2.1 I think. Is this normally just the switch? Or is the issue usually deeper, possibly Speedo? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome! Had a couple like this and had a contact problem on the yellow button in the switch not allowing the display to toggle,plus before you tear into the switch you might make sure the two connectors and wiring are making good contact (use electrical grease) also check wiring down into the pod area for any problem. OPT

Old 11-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did use my ohm meter to check continuity of the switch, when the button is pressed, had ohm meter on audible tone, I could hear the tone so I eliminated the switch. I am thinking possible contact on connector or power issue. I did find a schematic and looks like there should be 3 wires to run this. Power, normally open, and normally closed, I will try to check the Power and other wires up to speedo pod. Is the power fused anywhere? Also any other words of advice?

Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

One Red wire has power full time in the speedo connector harness for memory.Just pull the speedo connector and test which wires should have power when toggling the yellow button since you have the schematic handy.This can eliminate it being a wire problem or the speedo itself. You might check for any wires that go into the connector that may not be making good contact with the connector pins.(connector just snaps apart) I've found a few ones here before that were the cause of speedo not toggling through the display. OPT

Old 11-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I installed the quadovator reverse override switch wich is a toggle switch that hooks to the gray/orange wire from the switch and the brown wire. This is supposed to bypass the reverse override when switch is toggled. The reverse override still does not work, next I will look at speedo connector as you suggested. Also I did check voltage and there was 12v to the red wire in the handlebar modular connector to the switch. I will check for ground on the gray/orange and brown with and without yellow reverse button pushed and check connections at back of speedo. Do you know if they make a replacement connector for the back of speedo, looks like this one had a broken retaining tab and one of the wire covers gone?

Old 11-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Connector only comes with the harness assy! Possible to bypass to allow awd,not sure on the reverse over ride. All this is built into the speedo and if the connector wiring checks out,then you may be down to replacing the speedo head to allow not only the over ride function,but if you want to have a display and the ability to toggle through the modes.I've had to replace speedo heads in the past. Crappy way that they have the newer systems all tied into the speedo instead of separate modules as in the past. OPT

Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, Checked connections on speedo, getting complete reading now from brown and gray/orange, still cuts out in reverse. Could this possibly be the wheel speed sensor? The speedo reads correct though. If the reverse override is completing the connection up to the speedo and it won't toggle through the functions and will not engage 4x4 in reverse is there possibly an output signal wire that sends the signal to both 4x4 and coil?

Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Speedo sensor if working properly won't affect the awd. According to the schematic I have the (brown/white, or brown/yellow,can't hardly tell) goes directly from the speedo and ties into the ground wire at the awd coil. Try jump grounding this wire from the speedo harness to a known good ground(either a brown wire or a good frame spot and see if you have awd. This may get you awd, that is if you can also rule out the gear position sensor on the tranny as a problem?(as long as gear position shows correctly on speedo) Can't guarantee you'll be able to toggle through the functions though! A new speedo may be the only way unless someone else has done this.Most shops just replace defective parts. OPT

Old 11-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ordered a used Speedo unit plugged in and Good to go, can toggle through trip,rpm,odometer... If I wasn't so cheap I would have done that first. Thanks for all the help and info!!!!!! I deeply appreciate your input and think you are a huge asset to this forum!!! Again thank you for you time and help!

ISSUE RESOLVED

Old 11-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Forgot to mention that AWD and engine cutout bypass works as well, That was my main concern.

Quick Reply: 05 Sportsman 500HO, Reverse Override Button doesn't work