Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

reverse light problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse light problems

Hello I'm new to the site and have a couple problems and wondering if anyone has had the same problems. First off I have a 2000 polaris sportsman 500 that has the following symptoms:
1) goes as fast as i want in reverse but seems doggy in high gear.
2) when i push the reverse override button in with key on engine off, the reverse indicator light lights up no matter what gear im in.
3)the speedo needle doesnt move and the miles dont accumulate but the hour meter and the back light works.
4)when in netrual or reverse, the indicator lights dont want to work.

The speedo was just replaced and i have torn the machine apart to look for fuses or bad grounds but cant find anything that appears bad. The quad has a reverse light kit and a winch. The winch works fine but the reverse lights only work when the reverse override button is pushed. Im leaning towards getting a speed sensor to fix the speedo problem but not sure if i have a bigger problem that would effect all the above. Please let me know what i can try next. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Speedo sensor will probably be the fix on speed and mileage(common problem for them to go out)
I would check the connections on the the two transmission switches,plus could have a short in left control switch causing some of the problems. Plus its not uncommon for a trans switch to be faulty(plastic levers can break inside switch) Trans Switch or wiring could be cause on no reverse lights? Plus goes ok in reverse but doggy in drive?? Could be a clutch or belt problem?? OPT

Old 05-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way to test the speed sensor? The plastic tranny connectors look good and the plugs look clean, is there something I could do to check the sensors in the tranny? When I said it seemed to run boggy in high gear I was just trying to say it seemed the rev limiter is kickin in when going forward but not in reverse. Would that be in the switch.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by montie1984
Is there a way to test the speed sensor? The plastic tranny connectors look good and the plugs look clean, is there something I could do to check the sensors in the tranny? When I said it seemed to run boggy in high gear I was just trying to say it seemed the rev limiter is kickin in when going forward but not in reverse. Would that be in the switch.
You have to remove the transmission gear indicators to see if plastic arm is broken. We had a dealer supplied harness that can check the speed sensor,BUT 9 out of 10 times when speed and mileage doesn't work its a shorted sensor! Can limit in forward if its not getting a positive FORWARD gear position! Could be as I've said a short in the left control switch OR in the wiring going back into the headlight pod area! I've found shorted,broken wires in the harness down from the left control switch connectors that can cause some of your problems ?? Electrical problems are a process of elimination and not always cut and dry. OPT