Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Another issue with my 700 Twin (rear brake)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another issue with my 700 Twin (rear brake)

I trailered my Sportsman 700 to go disk and plant food plots and did not use the parking brake (just forgot, but it was in Park and strapped down with two 2 inch rachet straps. When I was done with the plots I trailered it again and used the parking brake, in park and strapped again. When I got home, the rear brake caliper would not release. I did manage to get it off of the trailer and put it in the garage, but the rear brake pads are still holding some pressure on the brake rotor. I had the caliper rebuilt just a few weeks ago. Should I just give a rap with a hammer to release tension or oil the caliper? I also thought of releasing the fluid pressure by loosening the bleeder. Thoughts?

By the way, I pulled a four foot disk while pulling a four foot harrow at the same time. Worked great! This machine has plenty of power for this set up.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just release the pressure by the bleed screw,should be able to move freely. I would pump up the brakes and lock the hand brake and bleed all the brakes again starting with the rear,then the front.Use dot 4 brake fluid if it hasn't been changed. If piston in rear caliper still tries to stick,then you can use a pinpoint spray of P Blaster or Wd-40 around the inside of the caliper and drive machine and use foot brake only for a few times,should loosen up after a few hard stops. OPT

Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default Found the problem! Not the rear brake.

As I noted in my other post the inside rear CV joint went completely out. As you probably know, when only one wheel is only pulling, it seemed like the brake is locked to the rotor. Jacked it up and put into reverse. Once in a while it would catch and turn the wheel, but most of the time the wheel and cv shaft would not turn. Will be placing an order tonight. Should I buy an OEM cv joint or order one from someplace like CV Man?

Old 06-03-2011, 02:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Elk Hunter
As I noted in my other post the inside rear CV joint went completely out. As you probably know, when only one wheel is only pulling, it seemed like the brake is locked to the rotor. Jacked it up and put into reverse. Once in a while it would catch and turn the wheel, but most of the time the wheel and cv shaft would not turn. Will be placing an order tonight. Should I buy an OEM cv joint or order one from someplace like CV Man?
I just used OEM since I was at a dealership,but have ordered Gorilla and other aftermarket ones and installed them for customers. Others will have to chime in on the CV man. OPT

Old 06-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default Made trip to the Polaris dealer

I looked on the internet for a complete cv shaft and joint. My dealer meet the internet price $305. I don't have time to install, so I dropped it off with the dealer as well. I replaced the other rear cv joint, but had trouble getting the shaft out of the rear end. I was afraid of breaking the housing on the rear end. Now I will be up to $5000 in this 2003 Sportsman 700. Way more than it is worth. It should be good for a while, but you never know.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider

can buy complete axle from CV man for a little over $120 , replaced several with them over the years, still going, no problems at all, highly recomend their stuff