Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

00 scrambler 4x4 locked up

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 scrambler 4x4 locked up

Was trying to get to a remote lake with my scrambler and while trying to get thru some deep ruts from the bigger wheeled machines the front end locked up. Made a loud clunk. Was heavy on the throttle in awd mode. When it locked up it pulled the handle bars out of my hands and the front wheels turned all the way to the right. Got pulled out by one of the other guys and the quad worked good all the rest of the day as long as I didnt gas it too much in the severely blown out mud holes. Feel sorry for the snowmobilers who pay for these trails. Any Idea what this might be?

Old 06-03-2011, 02:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by melonhead1
Was trying to get to a remote lake with my scrambler and while trying to get thru some deep ruts from the bigger wheeled machines the front end locked up. Made a loud clunk. Was heavy on the throttle in awd mode. When it locked up it pulled the handle bars out of my hands and the front wheels turned all the way to the right. Got pulled out by one of the other guys and the quad worked good all the rest of the day as long as I didnt gas it too much in the severely blown out mud holes. Feel sorry for the snowmobilers who pay for these trails. Any Idea what this might be?
You just have to tear into the front hubs first. Usually one side or the other will lock because of armature plate sticking,low fluid,damaged hilliard assy,etc. Can be dangerous. If replacing any hub parts be sure to at least replace BOTH armature plates as the other side could do the same and lock in and pull towards the left! Even if the hubs are properly maintained (fluid changed at 50 hrs) the armature plates will eventually "magnetize" and can lock in awd even if in two wheel drive! I believe this is one of the main reasons the new atvs have the awd in the front gear case to eliminate this problem. OPT

Old 06-03-2011, 06:29 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here is a good link on your system. I had one sticking hub and just changing the hub fluid fixed it so try that first. http://www.atvtime.com/phpBB2/viewto...003&pc_t=12521

Feel sorry for the snowmobilers who pay for these trails.
We do not care what how rough the trails conditions under 3ft of groom snow is like.

ATVing is a different sport, the rougher the tails the better. Unlike snowmobiling, ATVs have no trail fees even though they are the same trails.

Even if the hubs are properly maintained (fluid changed at 50 hrs) the armature plates will eventually "magnetize" and can lock in awd even if in two wheel drive! I believe this is one of the main reasons the new atvs have the awd in the front gear case to eliminate this problem.
My guess was cost saving, cheaper to make a single Hilliary with one plastic roller cage then two Hilliary's with two metal roller cages.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

did not mean to offend anyone. I guess because I am new to wheeling but have been sledding for 32 years I am a little biased. Will probably get over it when I get a newer machine<atv> that performs better.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i did (do) both wheeling and sledding and hate having 3 foot ruts to loose a ski in myself. not always that great of snow condtions to where it covers all that dep stuff, so i here ya.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

pulled right wheel off and cage is broken. armature plates are magnetized.Went to poo dealer to buy cage 140 smacaroos. yikes. brake pads and hub oil and there goes 300 dollars. My own fault should have changed the plates and oil when I bought the machine. Another lesson learned the hard way.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by melonhead1
pulled right wheel off and cage is broken. armature plates are magnetized.Went to poo dealer to buy cage 140 smacaroos. yikes. brake pads and hub oil and there goes 300 dollars. My own fault should have changed the plates and oil when I bought the machine. Another lesson learned the hard way.
Sorry,but it happens!! I would also check for signs of hub or strut seal leakage,plus I usually just went ahead and replaced the seals(with customers understanding and ok) That way you have a complete new system,you are already there for the most part,and will in the future just have to change fluid every 50 hrs and it should last several years! DON"T know about after market hilliards on this (NEVER checked into it),BUT Cheap cycle Parts or Cycle Parts Warehouse are generally cheaper than any dealer(just for future reference,plus others can also direct you on parts places) As I mentioned earlier,REPLACE the other side armature plate also if you can afford it now(will eventually have the same locking problem) Good luck. OPT