Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris 325 4x4 Magnum Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Polaris 325 4x4 Magnum Problems

Hi, Could someone please help me with my quad. I bought the quad about a year ago, rode it for about 12 hours then all hell started for me. The quad started missing when you accelerate and eventually dies. When I take the spark plug out it has a lot of sooty residue, after about 5 minutes riding a new plug is very badly contaminated/ sooted up. I then took the quad to Polaris SA, in Nelspruit, they stripped the carb( about 4-5 times) they put a service kit into my carb, supplied and installed a new petrol pump they replaced the rubber mounting block from carb to manifold. They set the valve clearances, replaced the CDI, checked all the electrics.They also checked the magneto and told me it is fine. Could someone give some light on this disaster PLEASE.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

IF the dealer has actually done all what you say has been done,I would still check out the simple things like the spark plug wire for any nicks,the plug cap itself,should show right at 5k ohms resistance,the coil itself could be breaking down when hot. I would get a shop manual (NOT a Clymer) and if you have an ohm meter can check the coil and stator specs yourself. Plus could still be a fuel related problem or even a simple thing like kink in the fuel tank vent line(can cause problems) This may save you some more frustration if you have a shop manual. I admit some dealer techs may not be that qualified to diagnose problems and just throw parts at it (especially if they have to take the carb off more than ONCE! OPT

Old 06-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks for Advice.

Thank you for your advice, how can I check to see the spark is ok and not breaking down under acceleration, how can I step up the spark to the pug and what component controls the coil, I did change the coil. I am looking at buying a Polaris manual is the fault finding and diagnostics comprehensive in the Polaris manual or what workshop manual do you recommend?

Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The Polaris manual has all the resistance readings for all the electrical components in the schematic section,along with chapter by chapter on fuel system,mechanical systems,etc. BEST investment you can make if you are going to keep the machine for a while! As far as checking the coil ,I had a coil checker at work(shop tool) that would show a good or bad coil,plus on suspect ones I left going for a while on the tester to see if spark became erratic when coil got hot.(mostly ones people brought in,Honda coils were bad on going out on the older ones) Normally coils are NOT a problem on Polaris machines (old Hondas YES,coils and cdi units would fail.(at least a bunch I got a hold of over the years) Just to check that you have spark you can just ground the plug to the cylinder and crank the engine over to see if has spark. DON'T keep on throwing parts on it until you have the manual!! OPT

Old 06-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks

Thanks opt, I'm sure Ill come right with the manual. Have a great day.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Keep us updated on what you find,it may help others also!! Good luck OPT