Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Lift Kit - CV Joint Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Kit - CV Joint Issue

Well I thought I'd be cool and put a elcheapo lift kit on my sportsman 700. Followed the instructions to a "t" and put the 2" spacers on top of the struts. Well, in the process I must have let the a-arm drop too low and the axle came out of the cv joint.

Any tips on how to get it back in there? Do I need pull the caliper, drop the lower a-arm and pull the hub to remove the axle? Is that the only way to fix it? Sorry, sometimes I think I'm a mechanic and I am NOT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

When ever it happened to me (several times) I would end up dropping the a arm, pulling the caliper and the hub and in most cases you can pull back on strut assembly far enough to"bend" the cv shaft out and down from the strut Then I would remove the boot clamps,slide the boot back far enough so I could slowly turn the cv until I felt it line up on the shaft and then give it a good whack with a dead blow hammer to reseat it Then slide the boot back down and replace the clamps Then I would "bend' the cv joint again while pulling out on the strut(friends come in handy too for this) and slip it back into the strut then reassemble hub and caliper and the a arm. Pain in the butt! I had one tech who could "feel" the splines with the boot still on and could usually line up! I never could with out sliding the boot back. Hope this helps. OPT

Old 06-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

some have done it with it together but it might be quicker to just drop it as mentioned above.