Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

20 Hour Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you check most of the posts on oil change,MOST people don't take the tank fitting off! I only did if I knew machines weren't maintained well OR if I replaced bad cams or engine over hauls. The screen will almost always be clean and after I did a whole bunch of them,I just drained the oil and filter! Also the only time to clamp off the tank vent line is if you take off the fitting! May not sound "KOSHER" but when I change oil and filter, I would drain the tank,leave the old filter on and RUN engine for only 10 seconds which would drain the sump through the oil tank. Then I would remove the old filter and replace along with the two quarts of oil. I would run for several minutes,then check oil level with dipstick all the way in. If you don't run long enough,it will show a little over the full level. Over the years I've done countless 500 engines like this and never encountered any problems! The instructions to clean the screen EVERY TIME is just Polaris covering their azzzz. Just my old opinion again! OPT
Good to know inside info; let me know if you ever need tips on any Boeing or Lockheed Products and I'll return the favor.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

THANX,but I'm another Coach JOHN MADDEN!! Flew ONE time,that was enough! They wouldn't give me my own steering wheel!! Ground Bound! OPT