Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Gettn agrivated

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gettn agrivated

Hello,
i have a polaris 400 scrambler and i purchased it used.
Well it was running great then... I added polaris 2 cycl oil mix to the oil tank and all the problems started. Such as.. Plastic body melted near exhaust by seat. Mis firing, fouling, running hot, no power, battery died. I cleaned out oil tank flushed most lines, not the one from pump to carb. Changed oil line filter, spark plug.
Cleaned out carb, adjusted air/fuel mix. Started ok after 2 minutes it was back to running like junk. I did notice while running it with no battery that the lights were very dim. Including the dash lights. It did pull start and run but still poorly. My next guess would be to pull off and flush last oil line to carb. And or clean magneto?? Or do they have an alternator? I put in the quicksilver oil the previous owner used. I feel its either a inter mitten spark or fuel problem?? Any suggestions??

Old 06-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

What does the spark plug look like?

Old 06-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KREIN917
Hello,
i have a polaris 400 scrambler and i purchased it used.
Well it was running great then... I added polaris 2 cycl oil mix to the oil tank and all the problems started. Such as.. Plastic body melted near exhaust by seat. Mis firing, fouling, running hot, no power, battery died. I cleaned out oil tank flushed most lines, not the one from pump to carb. Changed oil line filter, spark plug.
Cleaned out carb, adjusted air/fuel mix. Started ok after 2 minutes it was back to running like junk. I did notice while running it with no battery that the lights were very dim. Including the dash lights. It did pull start and run but still poorly. My next guess would be to pull off and flush last oil line to carb. And or clean magneto?? Or do they have an alternator? I put in the quicksilver oil the previous owner used. I feel its either a inter mitten spark or fuel problem?? Any suggestions??
welcome to the forum. the first issue you need to fix is buying a "battery". you should not run these bikes w/ out a battery or does damage to the electronics. this is turn can maake the bike run poorly as you mentioned(nothing to do w/ the oil) as the bike is not getting enough power to give good ignition to make the bike run right. you can also burn the charging system out which it would not run if it can't make spark. imo

Old 06-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't run it without the battery. It can blow all the light bulbs. Possibly more damage.