Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris 700 Getting HOT warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 700 Getting HOT warning

We have a 2004 Polaris 700 and there is a HOT warning on the instrument panel over 15 to 20 minutes of running. I took off the radiator cap and can see fluid there and I can see fluid in the reserve tank. After reading some other posts I checked the fan and noticed that is was not turning even though the the Hot warning was on. I assume this is my problem. I am not the most mechanical guy so any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd check the fan motor first to see if its ok,if fan works with 12 volts direct to the connector,then usually the thermal sensor in the radiator is the culprit that shorts out and doesn't send a signal to the fan.Also make sure radiator is clean and no mud build up especially around the fan area. If it is the sensor,when you replace it make sure you leave the radiator cap off until fan cycles on to remove any trapped air,then top off coolant and replace cap. OPT

Old 07-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you very much for the reply. Like I said not real mechanical so not real sure how to do your suggestion. Sounds like a trip to the shop. My wife was hoping to use it on the fourth but sounds like a no go. I real do appreciate the response though.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

NOT necessary to take to the shop! The sensor (#4010161) just screws in and plugs in and the fan motor is simple to check.
OPT

Old 07-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
NOT necessary to take to the shop! The sensor (#4010161) just screws in and plugs in and the fan motor is simple to check.
OPT
couldn't he just unhook the wire harness to the sensor and w/ the key on the fan should start cycling by default?

Old 07-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

On some of the models you can pull the temp sensor connector on the left side of the cylinder and the fan should kick on! Worth a try first,if fan still doesn't come on, then you can apply 12 volts direct to the fan motor. OPT

Old 07-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
On some of the models you can pull the temp sensor connector on the left side of the cylinder and the fan should kick on! Worth a try first,if fan still doesn't come on, then you can apply 12 volts direct to the fan motor. OPT
yea on my 800's it was a quick way to test the fan to see if it was working w/ out putting dircet power to check it.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK. Thanks guys. Where is the sensor that I would unhook. I will also see if I can find a diagram on the net. Thanks!

Old 07-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

TRY the sensor connector on the left side of the cylinder first(just unplug with key on only!) If NO fan,hook back up then and you have to remove front rack and front cover.On the left side of the radiator there is a connector that ties in and goes DOWN to the bottom of the radiator. This is the radiator sensor,unplug this connection and see if fan comes on.If neither works,then you can check direct voltage on fan motor,if fan is ok,I would replace the radiator sensor. PLUS this is the first year of the EFI! Is yours a Carb model Or efi?? Makes a difference on the tests. OPT

Old 07-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry to be thick but what do you mean by "the left side of the cylinder"? Where is the cylinder located? Really sorry to ask so many questions?

Quick Reply: Polaris 700 Getting HOT warning