Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

07 500 efi electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 500 efi electrical problems

well well well........ Here I am again...........

I go out in the shop yesterday and decide to take the sportsman for a cruise (keep in mind, I just fixed the starter).

I check the oil. turn the red engine start button on and turn the key over and I have nothing. No fuel pump, no screen, nothing. So Im thinking dead battery. I jump the scilonoid and the motor turns over great.

So I leave the key on and as im inspecting the bike everything comes on. then cuts off. then cuts on. then cuts off. then cuts on. While its doing this im hearing a sound coming from underneath the handlebars. it sounds like my home computer when you first turn it on. booting/loading up. making those funny "computer noises" when the screen did come on the check engine light did not. and no number codes were thrown at me

I disassembeled the headlight cover and wiggled all the wires and made sure everything was tight. battery terminals and scilnoid are tight.

any suggestions????

all replies are appreciated.

thanks

ross

Old 08-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Pull the connectors from the left control switch, ecm and the control module,use die electric grease around connectors and plug back in. If doesn't help,could have a short in either the ecm or control module itself triggering internal circuit breakers or short in the wiring harness under the pod area leading to the modules.Or could have a short in wiring from left control switch down into the pod area. I've had quite a few harness shorts under the pod area on efi and non efi machines as its subject to the most movement. OPT

Old 08-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Pull the connectors from the left control switch, ecm and the control module,use die electric grease around connectors and plug back in. OPT
thankS OPT! which module is which and where are these items located on the machine?

Electrical never has been my virtue and theres so many plugs. just want to make sure I got the right ones before I go pullin and cleanin.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Both big modules are under the front panel. The one up by the steering post is the ecm, down by the radiator is the control module. Plus use electrical grease on left control connectors,Plus wont hurt to lube any connector you find. Hopefully your problem is something simple! OPT

Old 08-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Both big modules are under the front panel. The one up by the steering post is the ecm, down by the radiator is the control module. Plus use electrical grease on left control connectors,Plus wont hurt to lube any connector you find. Hopefully your problem is something simple! OPT
thanks opt!!!! ill keep you posted.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

well, I swallowed my pride, bit the bullet and put her in the shop.

All them wires and plugs is above me. When I get her back, I'll let you guys know what it was

Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

welp. turns out my problem was a bad power distribution module.....

800 bucks later and the quads home.

now it seems as if my fuel guage isnt reading correctly, the reverse overide button doesnt work. when you press it tje dispay doesnt show rpm, hrs, miles or time. its just stuck on trip odo.

other than that the bike runs fine

any ideas as to what this could be?

thanks opt!

Old 10-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Was speedo ok after the module change? Try disconnecting battery for a few minutes,hook back up and check speedo. If doesn't help, still could be a short in the harness around the pod area, a problem in the left control switch(yellow button wiring?) or the speedo itself could be the problem? OPT

Old 10-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Well I replaced the control switch and that fixed my display problem. the tach, odo, etc work with the press of the override button.

forgot to look at the fuel guage but if it doesnt work I think I can live without for a while. Im ready to let this mo fo eat!

I'll know more next time I ride it but Hopefully, (knock on wood) Im squared away .....for now

thanks opt!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like you've spent enough $ for awhile! Hope you get some riding time now!! OPT

Quick Reply: 07 500 efi electrical problems