Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

'07 Polaris Phoenix 200 CVT+ Gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 Polaris Phoenix 200 CVT+ Gearbox

Hello,
I am new to forums. Here is the story. I am currently working on a final engineering design project which is a mini baja. (essentially a glorified gokart). The car we are modifying has a Polaris P90 CVT from a snowmobile and a Polaris Sportsman gearbox. We are using a 10HP Briggs, as required, with a 1 inch drive shaft. Considering the P90 and Sportsman gearbox are ancient nightmares I would like to select something that will perform as well as or better than the parts above. Not only that, but I would like to accomplish this while using a gearbox and CVT that are smaller. More compact. I was looking at the 2007 Phoenix 200. I want to scrap our current clutch and gearbox and replace them with the gearbox and clutch from the 07 Phoenix. I need to know if the clutch pulley will mount on the Briggs 1 inch output/drive shaft. Is this possible?

****Also, I am assuming that the Phoenix has an output shaft which the clutch mounts on and the clutch and gearbox are separate from the actual engine. Obviously I would keep the linkage between the clutch and gearbox, but I need to be sure that the engine pulley (not sure if its called drive or driven?) will mount on that shaft.

I thank anyone and everyone who reads this and offers advice.

-Rob

Old 09-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum!Think you need to talk to your local small engine repair shop on the Briggs set up OR a machinist!You're into one of a kind modification that your working on!! PS the front clutch is on a tapered shaft on the the Phoenix and doesn't have a woodruff key slot as most Briggs engines do where the pulleys go!!! How would you even propose to hold it on the shaft??? OPT

Old 09-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thanks.
Now that you know what I am working with, do you have any suggestions that would accomplish what I wish to? Any CVT+ gearbox combos that will produce what I am looking for? PLEEEASE anything. I have been calling and emailing and smashing my head against a cement wall its getting frusterating.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You might check into Comet clutches designed for carts?? Cross breeding works on horses and donkeys,(mules),but breeding this system on a riding mower engine,I JUST DON'T KNOW!! OPT

Old 09-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

Wow congrats on taking on this project, ok old polaris tech gave you great info. Not on the briggs and stratton engine, you can get them with a tapered shaft (not an issue) getting the right OD X length may be the problem.

Good luck on this. I conquered a simular project, a kawasaki kz1000 engine on a raptor 660 frame. It was nasty to say the least

Old 09-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Try Gokart Supply. Have clutches that fit up to 18 hp. Don't know if this helps.Plus maybe they can offer more answers?Also try Gokart Guru. Good luck with the project! OPT

Old 09-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

As mentioned above you could use the comet primary(drive) clutch and a polaris gearbox and driven pulley. Depending on how long it has to last tho, because the angles and widths of these two pulleys are much different. Unless you do some research and find a happy medium, the belt won't last very long. I'm not sure on the specs of the secondary of a phoenix but that might be a way to get around the tapered pulley/straight keyed shaft problem. Or just go with a complete setup for a gokart. You can adjust the spring settings in the driven clutch on the Torq-a-verter clutches....

Old 09-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2006 Polaris Phoenix and the starter turns when I hook up the battery. I does it with key on or off kill switch also

Old 09-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Welcome! Sounds like from your description that the starter relay has shorted out causing power to go through it without having to use the start button.(have had a couple do this on the Phoenix) Look here under your model under "electrical" Browse
OPT