Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2005 700 EFI sputters and dies

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 700 EFI sputters and dies

It first started doing it when I would be plowing snow using low range it would start to sputter and just die, if I leave it sit for a while then it will start and run ok but if I continue to plow it would repete. It had never done it on a trail ride until today, after 2 hours of riding i climbed a long hill in low range and when I got to the top it sputtered and died. When I try to restart I can here the fuel pump prime so I don't think it is the fuel pump. After sitting for about 15 minutes it would start but would only run for a few minutes. After towing it out of the woods and 1 hour ride home in the truck, it runs perfect again. It acts like something is getting hot and when it cools down then it is ok like maybe a Fuel injection control module or a relay. It is not showing any codes and when it is running it runs great.

I am new to the site and any help would be GREAT!

Old 11-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! First thing I would look at the "sticky" post in this section above about efi problems on the 700 and 800! This sounds like what happens when you have sensor harness problem. Usually its "erratic" and may be your problem? Also not a bad idea to check the pressure reading on the fuel injection system. If I remember correctly should be around 39 psi while running with NO drop in pressure when throttling up. OPT

Old 11-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. I did read the sticky, my atv runs great other then when it sputters, dies and no codes. It doesn't seem "erratic" like a bad wire or a loose connector as much as it seems heat related. After reading some more threads I see where some people have had problems with the fuel tank and fuel pump getting to hot. Any thoughts on this?

Old 11-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

That's why I said have a fuel pressure reading done also!(especially check the pressure when running bad!) May not be electrical but pump related! Also if it is the pump, aftermarket along with Polaris oem replacements are available and whole tank assemblies don't have to be bought! Also you might check/clean the radiator especially at the back around the fan area! This area can clog up and cause overheating problems also. Plus trapped air in radiators can cause problems too! (just run with the cap off until the fan cycles on and coolant going back into the radiator will expel all trapped air! Keep us updated! OPT

Old 11-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, it looks like I have some work/ research to do.