Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2010 Sportsman 550 Factory installed wench

Old 12-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2010 Sportsman 550 Factory installed wench

I bought a 2010 sportsman 550 xp it came with a Polaris 3500lbs wench... about 8 months into it I started having issues with the wench, well about 3 days ago it completely died... so I was going to remove it and get a new.. after digging into it .. I found that the rear wench mount bolts were never put in.. ALL 4 Frame bolts were gone.. has anyone else had this problem... could it be possible that all 4 bolts over time would fall out??.. I just cannot see this happening... it has created some serious damage to the plow mount because of the stress on the front end using the plow for snow .. but when I took it to the dealer they said because the warrenty on the machine was up there was nothing they could do about it ...

Old 12-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like they used bolts without a lock washer or locknuts. Those will rattle out over time. Stinks if they used inferior hardware. I recommend Warn for a replacement. I've used mine on the X2 since I bought it and it's never failed me. A lot of people I've talked to have gone to Gorilla winches that I think are called Promark. From what they've said they're a better low cost alternative.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bastards.

Look for any signs of the paint being scraped when the bolts would have been put in, they should leave some sort of visible scar.

I hate people like that. I hate inferior work especially when YOU paid for it.

If there are no scars from bolts ever being in there give them a choice to make things right or settle with your attorney.

Contact Polaris, was it factory or dealer installed?

It sounds like they were just too damn lazy to do the right.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:34 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

wench

winch

Old 12-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Factory installed

Yes it was factory installed... and there are no paint marks where the bolts should have been ... the local dealer said there was nothing they could do about it since it has been so long since it was bought... and there is no proof that the bolts were not taken out or fell out .. so they offered to sell me a new wench and mounting kit at a discount price.. haha... and since i had no choice I need the rig to plow my driveway.. I did not have the time time sit around and wait for the factory to contact me and make things right..
I was just wondering if anyone else here had any kind of issue like this

Old 12-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Sorry to hear you had a problem like this. I personally would have ripped their *** and not let up until something was done.. And I wouldn't be using that particular dealer ever again unless they were willing to make it right. Thank god I have a dealer who cares and would eat the cost to keep the customer happy. If more dealers treated customers with care they'd realize that those customers will return more often and not shop around at the competition.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

Dealer installed the original"factory winch", the factory does not, clearly dealers fault, make them make it right, print this thread and tell them your gonna smear there name all over the internet if they dont make it right

Old 12-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
wench

winch

This would be the ONLY time if I ordered a winch and they sent me the wrong "item" that I would be very reluctant to send back! Think I would have a little trouble with the wife though about keeping the wrong"item"! OPT

Old 12-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by readymixer169
I personally would have ripped their *** and not let up until something was done..
I'm with him.

And after you ripped their *** you could fill that big crack left behind with cement.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
Dealer installed the original"factory winch", the factory does not, clearly dealers fault, make them make it right,
Tell them you have a friend who can custom fit them with concrete shoes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Sportsman 550 Factory installed wench