Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2003 Sportsman 500 will not move/roll

Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Sportsman 500 will not move/roll

I need to start this off by saying that originally I bought this bike to part out. People I bought it from said that it would start and they didnt know why. I got it home and decided to see if I could get it to run. After a bit of diagnosis I found realized the starter was bad. Fixed the pull rope and it fired right up and ran really good and smooth. It did not have any wheels and tires on it when i bought it. I decided to fix it up so I would have me a fourwheeler again, I bought wheels and tires, got them on and it wont roll forward or backwards more than about 4-6 inches. I checked the belt to make sure something wasnt wrong there and I even pulled the rear caliper off to make sure it was holding the bike. Still will not move. Shifter seems to operating smoothly and I have it in the neutral position. I figure its an internal transmission problem but this is my first Polaris so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
-Will

Old 02-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Jack machine off the ground and try to turn rear wheels while in neutral,if it just turns a little forward or back, could be the front wheels are locking up. Have had that happen before on a lift. Either that or could be silent chain in the transmission has broken locking up,but these transmissions are pretty tough? OPT

Old 02-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

I'll try getting the whole machine off the ground and see what happens, I tried just the rear end up in the air and still couldnt get it to move but just a little one way or the other. I'll post an update as soon as I can check it after work
Thanks
-Will

Old 02-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

Im home on lunch and decided to run out and try it. Got the machine off the ground and the front tires turn freely but the rear still wont move more than just a little bit.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You might disconnect the linkage and use a pair of vice grips on the the transmission levers(belcranks) to see if you might be stuck in between gears? Especially the low range.Make sure the h/n/r lever is pointing straight out parallel with the transmission. If this doesn't help then could be a trans issue. OPT

Old 02-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

any oil in tranny?the tranny and rear diff are all together on 500

Old 02-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

Well I spent my Saturday night wrenching on this machine and I tried the linkage, It wasnt shifting quite right but after it got in gear correctly still didnt want to turn. So I started taking it apart and it looks like there was so much fine sandy mud that packed itself inside the bearings and front prop shaft u-joints that it had it locked up. With the rear axles hanging out of the diff I can spin the trans over with the secondary drive pulley and the axles turn with it. I still need to drill out the roll pin to get the prop shaft out, Will it come out with pulling the front diff?

Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

Oh, the oil was good and clean inside the tranny too

Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

just need aq large punch and hammer to get roll pin out

Old 02-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Don't drill out the roll pin,just punch it out(an impact with a ground down bit works best) and you can reuse it! Once the roll pin is out you can drive the prop shaft (at the rear joint/yoke area) back towards the transmission,then when the front joint comes off the the front gear case splines,angle the shaft towards the left out of the way and drive the prop shaft forward from the rear u-joint area until it comes off the transmission shaft splines,then you slide the whole assembly out of the front of the atv. Then you can replace the u-joints( cross kits) if really worn(Best since you already have it out!!). Again,an air impact make short work of this and less beating up your knuckles! You can match the the cross kits up at your local auto store. OPT

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Sportsman 500 will not move/roll