Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

testing hub/AWD coil

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OPT: I appreciate your expertise in helping we garage mechanics repair our Quads. The magnetic coil in the left front strut of my 1999 Polaris Sportsman ATV does not have the power to hold the armature plate tight against the strut (or whatever that outside metal cylinder is called), as a result the roller cage rollers will not expand and contact the hub. I ordered a new magnetic coil, armature plate, and roller cage, but cannot figure out how to remove the magnetic coil, to replace the coil. In a previous blog you stated that the outside cylinder is held on by blue silicon and that it could be tapped off. I tried tapping on the bearing race inside the coil enclosure, but was fearful of damaging things. Am I correct in thinking that I can tap on that outside cylinder (that is held on by blue silicon) and thereby remove it? Russ

Old 07-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes you can use a small sharp chisel to tap the back of the sleeve to remove it. Try not to gouge the strut casting as much as you can. Expect to break the plastic face of the coil doing so,but you're going to replace it anyway. Clean up all the dried on silicone.Use a little silicone on the back of the new coil and install it and silicone the small wires in the strut channel. Run them up the strut and silicone under the foam bock to support the wires.Let this dry awhile. Silicone the strut area where the new sleeve goes and install it slowly using a block of wood and a hammer. Don't go too far! Use a straight edge over the face of the sleeve and a feeler gauge and try to get either flush or no more than .001 clearance between the face of sleeve and the inner pole,the raised lip where the coil slips over. Borrowed this pic.. Plus here's a recent post on this.http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...-hub-coil.html

Attached Thumbnails testing hub/AWD coil-2012-07-18_13-47-39_302.jpg