Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Hawkeye Internal Clutch Replacement Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I finally got it done. What a deal. The "one way" was $135. I could have bought one for a 500 or 800 for $30 or 40. I bit the bullet and downloaded a repair manual from "tradebits" for $20. It's a pretty good manual, could be better, but for the price,OK. I'm so sore, everything on me hurts. I'm getting too "mature" for working on my knees,and bending over, and crawling around on the cold concrete. Thank you OPT for your help. I have a greater appreciation now for someone who spent years doing this. Enjoy your retirement, you earned it. Gary

P.S. I now own an '08 HONDA rancher with 100 hrs., and NO CVT! I LOVE IT!

Last edited by gwtx; 03-09-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 03-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Gettin' old and creaky sucks, I know the feeling! Glad you got it fixed and stay off your knees!That's why I could only work off a lift or if I had a Ranger or Razr to work on I used the fork lift. Left the knee crawling for the young guys! Hawkeye's the only Polaris to have an internal clutch and outer cv clutches. The bigger machines external clutches are not bad to work on! Enjoy your Honda! OPT

Old 03-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know Polaris is one of the top machines, I wasn't intending to bash'em. I just never could get used to the cvt's. I(we) like chugging around the wooded areas near our home, and it always sounded like we were going 30 mph on the hawkeye.
My old kawBayou300 just putted along barely above idle,,quietly. The rancher is even quieter. I think popo took a little different route with the hawkeye, I think they experimented a little. I'm gonna clean it up, and see if I can sell it. They don't hold their value as well as the other popo's. Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes sir the early Hawkeye along with the Phoenix and Sawtooth were rebranded Etons OR Aeon (can't remember which?) and kinda were an experiment I guess to provide a group of atvs above the small kids machines and smaller than the full size atvs. Had a devil of a time on the Phoenix and Sawtooth about jumping in gear! You had to be in neutral,rev the engine a tad,then as the revs came down, push the shifter in forward or reverse and you would hear a positive clunk. If you just pushed it in gear it would clunk or grind and jump into gear! Had a lot of people complain even with the updates that were supposed to fix this,but were decent machines. I favored the old Sawtooth the most. 2007 last year on it. Phoenix and Hawkeye still in the line up with changes. OPT

Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

Just where is this internal clutch bearing that you are referring to? I have changed the one-way bearing inside the cover behind the drive clutch but not sure which one you did.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look on the Pure Polaris Parts Catalog under "engine clutch" The one way bearing is behind the centrifugal clutch shoes. This clutch is similar to the old Honda centrifugal clutches. It takes the load off the outer drive clutch when starting and when rpms increase it transmits power to the outer drive clutch. Only on the 300 (Aeon OR Eton?) engine as they added a 400 engine in 2011 and shows only the 400 Hawkeye for 2012. OPT

Old 01-05-2017, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Digging up an old thread. I have a 2007 Hawkeye 300 AWD. Sounds like a lower end rod knock on the clutch side. Took clutch cover off and started it briefly and noise is still there.
What bearing goes out on these? It is the one way bearing, (which I see is a pretty big job to get at, removing trans and motor to remove the clutch assembly) or the bearing behind the seal (Polaris part #3089866) that can be seen just behind the drive clutch?
Also, if it is the bearing behind the seal, can you replace it by removing the drive clutch, seal and then the bearing? That seems pretty easy.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

One way bearing is #13.Plus there is another engine bearing behind it that may be the problem #6. 2007 Polaris HAWKEYE 2X4/4X4 (A07LB27AA/AC/LH27AA/AB/AC/AD/AL) Engine, Clutch | Cycle Parts Warehouse A lot easier on checkout and repair with the 5 buck manual.2007 Polaris Hawkeye Service Manual PDF Download

Old 01-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can you get to bearing #6 by just pulling the seal and snap ring from inside the clutch cover? That is what it looks like from the picture, can you remove parts 7,9 & 8 and the pull the #6 bearing out?

Old 01-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

To tell you the truth I really can't remember on that one since I only did a couple one way bearings. I believe the inner cover can be pulled with out splitting the engine,but the manual will tell you for sure. That's why I love manuals so I don't have to remember.. Plus it's hard for mechanics working day in,day out to remember certain steps on about 20-30 different machines without cracking open the manual now and then.

Quick Reply: Hawkeye Internal Clutch Replacement Help