Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

06 700 (carb) sportsman sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Sorry, been at Broken Bow,Oklahoma for a few days. Every body needs a vacation,even retired people If the plugs are black,definitely rich from too much fuel,air cleaner dirty, clogged,etc. Did you have the float arm parallel with the carb body when you installed the new needle valve assembly? Yes there is a block off plug on the bottom of the carb at the front that you can CAREFULLY run a small drill bit through and then screw in a drywall screw and pop this plug out revealing a fuel mixture screw. Screw clockwise to close counting the turns. If more than 2 turns out,set at a base setting of two turns out from lightly seated(closed position) and try it there. You can then adjust it in or out and see how it does. If you have a carb adjuster or a small screw driver you can also fine tune this screw for best idle speed while it's running. This is mainly for the idle jet circuit (pilot jet). This mixture could be needed to be adjusted if all else has been ruled out that could be causing it to bog down a little.. OPT
I hope you had a great ride OPT. The float was parallel with the bottom of the carb which is actually slanted a bit when you are looking at it so should it be parallel with the slant or with the actual carb (as if i was to put a level on it)? Also, the last 2 times I have started the atv (first start of the day) the display is on the hours and there is an hour glass looking icon in the upper right hand corner. this mean anything? I usually keep it on the rpm setting.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You can bend the small tab on the float down a bit to raise the float height up so gas can shut off a bit quicker. The hour glass if I remember correctly is the total hrs OR the hrs have counted down for an oil change. You can toggle through with the yellow button and either reset this function to how many hrs you want between oil changes or turn it off. OPT

Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

You can bend the small tab on the float down a bit to raise the float height up so gas can shut off a bit quicker. The hour glass if I remember correctly is the total hrs OR the hrs have counted down for an oil change. You can toggle through with the yellow button and either reset this function to how many hrs you want between oil changes or turn it off. OPT

so should i try bending the tab first or the adjustment screw you told me about?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Try adjusting the float tab first to make sure the float is parallel with the carb body,then if you still have some hesitation or bog,you can experiment with the carb slide needle by lowering the clip which raises the carb slide needle a bit and see if this helps. If it's worse then go the opposite way.(std needle clip position is 3rd from the top I think) Leave the adjustment screw until last if all else doesn't help the hesitation. OPT

Old 07-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

adjusted the tab and actually set the float up (had carb upside down looking at it so the float was resting). had to adjust the idle again since it was a bit low (about 100rpm). ran the atv for about 5 minutes and noticed less of a spudder but defantly had it at the 8k rpm range. before and after, no spudder. when i was done i was sitting there letting it idle and started to notice it trying to choke out and starting to blow black exhaust so i put it back in my shed so i can work on it again. think i might of adjusted the tab a bit too much so i will try to readjust as soon as it cools down. also, on the outside of the carb at the bottom of the bowl i see a screw. what does that screw do?

ps.
let me know if you want any pics. i can snap a couple with my phone and upload them so you see what i am seeing.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The big knurled one is the idle speed adjuster.If you see a small screw on the bottom at the front part of the carb,then someone has removed the "tamper proof" plug and messed with the fuel mixture screw. Count the turns as you slowly turn the screw clockwise and stop when it lightly seats. If it's more than 2 turns out set it at 2 turns out as a base setting. You can then adjust it while running in or out if you have a small screw driver and small hands to where you have the best idle speed. This circuit is mainly for the fuel mixture at idle. Could be why it might be running rich. OPT

Old 07-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

i haven't seen any "tamper proof" plug. i see the idle adjustment and a screw at the very bottom of the carb on the bowl itself. screw is right where what looks to be a vaccume line with some sort of inline valve. i readjusted everything a bit ago and now i can't get the atv to run or idle right. seem to be right back where i started somehow. the carb on my atv is pretty solid. no "tamper proof" anything, solid cast.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This screw is the bowl drain screw. The overflow hose ties in with the small overflow tube in the bowl. It's mainly there to drain excess fuel in case the fuel bowl level gets too high from a bad needle and seat or if float level too high. Still sounds like you are running rich if the plugs are black from carbon.. Have you checked the slide needle position or tried to lower it a notch or two to see if it helps with the stumble? OPT

Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

This screw is the bowl drain screw. The overflow hose ties in with the small overflow tube in the bowl. It's mainly there to drain excess fuel in case the fuel bowl level gets too high from a bad needle and seat or if float level too high. Still sounds like you are running rich if the plugs are black from carbon.. Have you checked the slide needle position or tried to lower it a notch or two to see if it helps with the stumble? OPT
no i haven't. i left the needle and position alone.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT,

it seems i need to replace the carb. could you recommend a site that sells rebuilt bst 34mm or aftermarket? the $400 price tag polaris decided to put on the mikuni is too much in my eyes so i am looking for options. thanks again for all the advice.

Quick Reply: 06 700 (carb) sportsman sputtering