Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Last Weekends Carnage – 02 Scrambler 90 Won't Idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Last Weekends Carnage – 02 Scrambler 90 Won't Idle

So we had another fun weekend which means that someone comes back being towed or not running properly. My son has a 2002 Scrambler 90 which has been good to us so far. Last weekend we were all running in rather deep water, doing donuts and all around getting really muddy. Then my son came to a stop. The water was not over the carb. We towed him out and got him re-fired but from then on the scrambler would not idle. Also at that point I noticed that the battery was either dead or a wire came disconnected. Anyway it ran good enough by feathering the throttle to get back but would not idle. When we would let off it would just settle down then die. Last night I took the carb off and cleaned the Pilot Jet. It did not look dirty. I have not looked into the battery issue yet because it runs good as long as it is not idling. I even turned up the idle screw on the carb but that did nothing. Any recommendations? Do I tear into the Carb or the electrical system. Thanks to in advance for all input.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Sounds more like a good and total carb clean would be the place to start.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

What Scooter said,plus if you can eliminate the carb,air filter, water in the gas,etc as the problem,then you might pull the plastic cover over the flywheel/stator and clean up any dirt or mud that may have gotten in. These models were bad about this,plus check that all electrical connections are dry. The little 50 and 90s don't like water! OPT

Old 07-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help. Do either of you know if they make any aftermarket kits that make these little ATVs a little more "water / mud friendly". My kids have a Predator 50 and a Scrambler 90, and both keep telling me that is where the fun is........ On a side question, are the newer 4 stokes better suited for these environments?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The newer four strokes are more "water resistant" than the early 2 strokes. The air inlet to cool the stator is sealed better and has an air tube extending up to help eliminate as much dirt and water as possible.Plus JMO the four strokes are more reliable and last longer. OPT

Old 07-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Scooter and OPT, thanks for the recommendations. I fully cleaned the carb and set it back to the factory settings. Then I cleaned the stator area, wow what a mess. After that, 1st kick it fired right up and purred like a kitten. Thanks for all of your help. So we are heading back up to the cabin this weekend. I will probably post on Monday with questions or asking for recommendations regarding what we broke. The Carnage continues. Thanks again………