Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2004 700twin starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 700twin starting problem

Hello. I am a new member in need of professional advice. I have a 2004 Sportsman 700twin that WAS in really pristine shape(500 miles). Unfortunately, my buddy rolled it off the side of a mountain and it tumbled about 300 feet. For the most part, my girl held up incredibly well and was running while laying upside down after the tumble. Speedometer was smashed, footwell crushed. I replaced the speedo. I have the fuel gauge on the speedo.

Bike will not start now. Lights up, turns over, will not run. Appears to my untrained eye that the bike is not getting fuel and/or spark.

Note: there is a small metal cube(selonoid??) with a metal plate that bolts on to the positive battery terminal with the cable. A small red wire comes off the cube and goes down toward the engine. The metal plate that enables it to bolt on to the postive terminal is broken so it is essentially disconnected. Dont know if this is a problem or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I thank you in advance for any assistance.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome! If the engine turns over then the solenoid is still good. Pull one of the plugs and check if you do have spark by grounding the plug at the engine block. You can at least eliminate this as a problem if you have spark. Carb model or Efi? If an efi system you need a fuel pressure gauge to see if the pump is holding 39 psi,plus you should hear the pump prime up when the key is tuned on. If it's a carb model just pull the fuel line off at the carb and crank the engine over to see if you have fuel flow. OPT

Old 10-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx for the reply sir. Bike is an EFI model. I went back out last night and hit the throttle lever while it was turning over. Bike did start. Never had to do this before. Bike always fired on half a compression even if it sat for a couple months.

While it was running last night, idle felt a touch rough but it did run unaided. I let it run for about ten minutes, revved it a couple times to warm it up. When I shut it off, it still will not start unless I hit the throttle lever.

Greatly appreciate your help.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check the thumb throttle slack. Must be between 1/16"- 1/8" slack only or the internal etc contact points will touch and not allow it to start without giving some throttle. Adjuster is just past the throttle housing. Falling down a cliff may have messed things up a little OPT