Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 carb problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 carb problems

I'm new to the forum but I own a 2011 sportsman 500HO with 1800 miles, 250 hours on it. Its been a great machine for the money so far, but about a week ago it was starting hard and would not rev up or go more than 30 mph. I thought the easy fix was spark plug, air cleaner, fuel filter. none of them fixed it. got to looking at it closer and it ended up being the cap on top of the carb for the vaccum flat slide operation. The tit that hangs down and guides the spring for the flat slit had broke off the top cover and thus didn't allow vaccum to build to pull the flat slide up. Two dealers in my area said they have never seen that, and that I should look where a vibration might be coming from. I might add that the small piece of wire that holds my idle adjust screw has broke 3 times (once under warranty, twice out of warranty). Is this common? What should I look for in regards to extra vibration (which I have not noticed from the seat)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I use it, but I don't abuse it so i'm just curious what others have found.

thanks.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome! Yes this is a freak break if the cap guide broke. Haven't seen this either,but have had plenty of the idle cable spring clips break and the idle cable would lay on top of the starter. No use replacing this wire clip as it will break again. Best to either zip tie it up under the carb or use a small flat vinyl wrapped metal strap (used a on a lot of carbs to secure multiple vent lines) in place of the wire and wrap it around the idle cable. Lift the seat and while in neutral rev the engine and you will see as it idles down the carb will vibrate even with the carb support bracket!. This is why the spring clip breaks and probably why the carb cap guide broke. Also this carb is bad about gas dripping from the overflow vent tube occasionally also. Plus if you have the idle adjuster cable off, use a dab of anti seize on the threads as the cable adjuster can seize up from moisture in a couple years or so.This idle adjust cable isn't cheap and if you have to replace it out of warranty it's close to $60. OPT