Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

reverse limiter

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse limiter

Dear OPT:

I put my new hub coils and when my limiter switch does come on they work. My problem now is the colder it gets the longer it takes for the switch to come on. Any ideas?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyebill85
Dear OPT:

I put my new hub coils and when my limiter switch does come on they work. My problem now is the colder it gets the longer it takes for the switch to come on. Any ideas?
Not quite getting the picture Are you saying the awd works in reverse when you push the limiter button,but with the cold weather the awd is delayed? OPT

Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry I got things a little backwards. I meant when I turn on my AWD as the temp drops it takes longer for the switch to turn on. at times it can take 15 min. Maybe it has no bearing on the temp. Could the awd switch be going bad? I think the awd sends power to the hub coils. The limiter switch must get its power from the awd switch. So I'm thinking if the awd switch isn't sending the power that may be the problem.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Possible could be just the cold weather affecting the fluid in the hubs not allowing the awd to kick in. Have had that happen quite a lot over the years until the fluid warms up a little after running.That's why you need to use Polaris Demand Drive hub fluid. Now if your talking about the awd switch itself lighting up(getting power) and takes a while to do so,then sounds like you don't have a good connection somewhere? OPT

Old 10-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK. Here's some other issues. When the awd switch does not light up and I put it in reverse the engine will die. If I push in the override button it will stay running. When I let go it dies. When the awd switch is on there is no problem. I can't see any problem with the wiring, could it be one of the switches, or something else. Another thing I have noticed is when the awd switch is not working there is 2 prongs that plug into the wiring for the hub coils. I have a 12 volt light tester and I will get a reading from both of the female openings in the plug but when the switch lights up only one will give me a reading. in other words power is present from both if the light is off and power is present in only one if the light is on. Now when I talk about this I'm talking about only the right side plug in.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

What year model do you have? Sounds like you need to disable the reverse limiter module black wire if it dies in reverse. This is a common problem. Good idea as a safety feature,but would always screw up. This way it wouldn't die in reverse,plus you wouldn't have to push the over ride button to engage the awd in reverse.You would have full power in reverse same as you do in forward gear. OPT