Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2006 Polaris sportsman 500 efi

Old 03-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for your input.
Yes one of the computers is new.
The stator is also new, but the key switch makes since, so I I will see if someone has one I could borrow. I did check for broken wires, none that I could tell. Have a feeling it will be one of those freak problems.
Oh I did start today and took for ride. Took 4 tries, without turning key off, to start and run right. It will start right up, but just dies back out. When running, runs very well.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Still sounds like a switch or map sensor harness or connector problem on intermittent starting??. I think the dealer didn't do a thorough enough check just because it didn't throw any codes. Just my again.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer

Update:
I tore the front plastics off, removed the fi computer and continuity tested all the sensors from the connector to the computer, all are good. It has 200psi compression, is that too high? It also looks to be running very lean, will attach a pic of the spark plug. Looks like someone may have attempted to adjust the throttle body butterfly, because it is not touching the screw. is there a way to set it? Could the intake air temp sensor cause any problems, is the only sensor not changed? Not sure how to post picture.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer

[IMG]/storage/emulated/0/bluetooth/image0562.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If some one messed with the TPS torque screw and tried to adjust the sensor,that could have something to do with you problems!! The Dealer should have caught this with Digital wrench!!It has to be recalibrated from a base vdc setting and you need the harness kit to do it with. Are you the original owner or did you just buy this atv?? https://polaris.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=182&cat=1&sub=6 If you had this kit I could guide you through the setting of the TPS OR if you trust the dealer let him calibrated it if it's been moved,especially if the throttle adjuster screw has been moved also. OPT

Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer

I dont trust the dealer, I asked them about this they said if it has been messed with then throttle body will need to be replaced. I will try to order, is there a way to set with out the tool, really dont have money to purchase tool for one time and just paid dealer $90 for absolutely nothing? I just purchased atv, may have been from the person who started this thread, but not sure. What do you think about the intake temp sensor?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

There isn't a good way to set/calibrate the TPS sensor if the setting has been altered or the throttle body idle adjuster screw has been tampered with, without having the TPS harness kit,regulator and a 9 volt battery. The dealer might be right as it does say to replace the whole throttle body if it's been altered in the manual! But I've been able to save a few that weren't in too bad of shape.Some I just gave up on. Just depends if the internal TPS spring is damaged. This is the bad part on EFI machines! You can't touch any factory setting! The air temp sensor in the air box just sends the outside temp to the ecu.
It shouldn't be a cause of any problems you're having.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer

Ok well i will look for both the tool and maybe a throttle body. Anything else you recommend looking for or testing? Also awd does not disengage, though it says it is, I didnt think that would have anything to do with anything, thought I would ask.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Awd is a different matter! It could be as simple as needing a fluid change or could be the armature plate has warped/magnetized or roll cage problem that a lot have had. I think you have your hands full right now! Concentrate on the running part first. OPT

Old 03-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah I will, thanks for all your help. I will get on ebay tonight and see if i can find the throttle body and tool.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Polaris sportsman 500 efi