Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

what Type of Ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool what Type of Ignition switch

I want to start by thanking you for helping us out with your knowledge. I have a 2000 scrambler 500 4x4 a project atv, I bought the atv in trade and it needs work and i do have a clear title with it. Some one cut the ignition switch off including the plug. My question is what type of switch do I need ? Do I need a three position with {off-on-start} if so does it take a six pin connector or not my wires that are cut are color coded as two red red,two black black, two brown brown, and two red black with strips. I was told that if i didnt get the right switch the atv would not get spark or start. I would like to order the right switch and a part number would be great. And is there any place i can get a plug for this switch.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Only way to get a new connector for an OEM switch is from a new harness or try to find a used one from Ebay. Have had this happen plenty of times when machines were brought in that were stolen or vandalized. As far as the ignition wires one red/black goes to red to turn ignition on and one red/black to the other to engage the starter.Plus cant rember on the black wires? You would have to have some kind of momentary/intermittent toggle switch(or some kind of three way toggle like you mentioned) for this to work and may have to use the emergency kill as a primary ignition kill?. Have had people rig wiring up this way,but in the shop we couldn't do this. Had to do it the right way! Oem ignition switch was # 4110264 but was replaced with #4012163. About $45 new. You can use either switch if you find a cheaper one on Ebay. Any 2000 model harness would work just to get the switch connector. It's a shame that Polaris doesn't sell these connectors separately without having to do this and I don't know who supplies them. OPT

Old 03-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile up date information

I would i to say thanks to old polaris tech for the advise I bought a complete wiring harness on e-bay for $36.00 with the switch and it worked out nice.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

A lot better than paying about $300 for a new one that I've found online