Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Bad running 05 700 sportsman

Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad running 05 700 sportsman

Hi all, I have a 700 twin carbed sportsman.

This is my first winter with the 700 and i took the bike for a ride in the snow for the first time. I rode in 2wd Hi and all was ok, how ever when i changed to 4wd high and tried to use the power (full) it ran for about 1-200 mtrs and then miss fired and lost power (limp mode) can any one tell me what is wrong and what i need to do/look at.

I'm entering my first comp this year the Croatia Trophy challenge ( i live in Germany) and will need the 4wd Hi range but i think i have this power lose probem?

Plus what mods are a very good idea over standard to make it better for comps.. i already have a Moose belt fitted!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Does it run good once you put it back into high 2wd once more?

Old 02-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes it runs fine then! and it runs fine in low 4wd its just in 4wd Hi it runs bad, big missfire's then dies to idle....

Old 02-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be the old ecm module problem. Pop the front panel and see if you still have the black Chinese module or if it has the updated silver finned Shure Power module. Even updated modules have failed and can cause all sort of problems. Its main purpose is to control the charging and the fan motor,but does affect other areas of the electrical system. There was a general recall on all models affected.Huge ATV Recall by Polaris - Sportsman and Scrambler Could be this or something simple as a partially fouled plug or trash in the fuel system causing the bogging down and dieing.
OPT

Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Could be the old ecm module problem. Pop the front panel and see if you still have the black Chinese module or if it has the updated silver finned Shure Power module. Even updated modules have failed and can cause all sort of problems. Its main purpose is to control the charging and the fan motor,but does affect other areas of the electrical system. There was a general recall on all models affected.Huge ATV Recall by Polaris - Sportsman and Scrambler Could be this or something simple as a partially fouled plug or trash in the fuel system causing the bogging down and dieing.
OPT
But it runs fine full power in 2wd and 4wd low. It just missfires in 4wd Hi range and it will do it again and again!

But i'll pull the plugs and look under the front cover in the morning for the black box!

Old 02-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The ecm could do some strange things(not saying that it is the problem your having) but is the first thing I would try to eliminate as the cause. Even if you have the updated silver module and have a "loaner" machine from a friend,swap out the ecm and see if there is any difference in the way it runs. Some of the symptoms were bad running or at the worst wouldn't even start.I've had several of those that exhibited those symptoms come into the shop.When they overheated and shorted out,there was a chance for an electrical fire,the main reason for the recall. Hope it's just something simple. OPT

Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well after looking on the Web i think i have a 2002-2004 model as mine has the same front with the slatted grill! (even tho mine was registered in 2005) i know this as my new winch mount (for an 05) does not fit!!!

But back to the bad running new Plugs have been fitted as one had a loose top (no thread left) i cannot test it yet as we have -5 and a very heavy snow storm! :-(

The only box i can see is up under the high beem light and it is black with Ducati wrote on it, is this the one that should be silver?

Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sorry,but this is the problem!You do not have an ecm module on this model. The Ducati ignition is updated to a Kokusan ignition as there are NO Ducati parts available!Don't even bother trying to even repair or trouble shoot this system! Plus don't buy any left over dealer or online parts. You have a 2002 to early 2004 Sportsman 700. The replacement kit is Polaris#2202602 and is around $450. The kit includes the flywheel,stator, separate cdi and coil(instead of the combo Ducati cdi/coil you have now),new regulator/rectifier,jumper wires that are needed along with instructions for the kit. Just search up this here or on any other forum about ignition problems on the Early Sportsman 700. Even a simple Google search will show you. This was not a recall,but should have been. Some ignitions started having problems early,some took a few years. Wish I could give you better news. I replaced quite a few of these kits before I retired. OPT

Old 02-06-2013, 07:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT, Looks like i'd better start looking over here for the kit or i'll have to order from the states!

Old 02-23-2013, 04:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well after finally been able to ride (toooo cold here) i went out yesterday and the 4wd high is working fine. No missfire at all! happy Days..... it looks like i had a bad plug! Which is a good thing as the upgrade Ignition kit here is 850€ :-(

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad running 05 700 sportsman