Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Help Me Install New CV Boot!

Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Install New CV Boot!

Hi guys,

I've cleaned the entire joint axle and am ready to install my new boot, What do i need to do?

I want step-by-step please!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Slip the boot on the shaft with the small clamp up past the groove in the shaft. Grease up the cv joint thoroughly,place the remainder of the package in the boot.Align the cv joint to where you feel the splines line up with the shaft.Knock it on with a dead blow hammer or try to hold a block of wood against the cv shaft and hit the wood hard. If it's right you can go in with the cv joint and it will only pull out so far because of the circlip. Slide the boot down untill the small end fits in the recessed area on the shaft and the big end fits snugly around the cv.Make sure the boot isn't twisted and tighten the small clamp,then fit the large clamp around the boot and clamp it.Then you're ready to pull the strut outward,flex the cv and install it back into the strut housing.DON'T forget to install the bearing on the cv before you do this.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Range Rover

Wow, this was easier than i thought! I've done all of the above. I dunno how to put back together the wheel bearings and stuff. :l

Old 04-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

One wheel bearing on the cv shaft inside the strut,another bearing on the outside of the strut on the cv shaft,then the armature plate,then the hilliard assy,then another bearing. Place the hub on and install the last bearing, washer, and circlip. Torque this 97 model to 20 ft pounds.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
One wheel bearing on the cv shaft inside the strut,another bearing on the outside of the strut on the cv shaft,then the armature plate,then the hilliard assy,then another bearing. Place the hub on and install the last bearing, washer, and circlip. Torque this 97 model to 20 ft pounds.
Aliright, thanks!

Old 04-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Range Rover

I was installing them, and i have a bearing left over? There's 4.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

YES 4 ! One bearing on the cv inside the strut,one on the outer cv inside the front strut,one hub bearing inner (after the hilliard) and one outer hub bearing. Two larger bearings for the strut,two smaller ones for the hub.Retrace your steps.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:39 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
YES 4 ! One bearing on the cv inside the strut,one on the outer cv inside the front strut,one hub bearing inner (after the hilliard) and one outer hub bearing. Two larger bearings for the strut,two smaller ones for the hub.Retrace your steps.
Wait, i didn't screw up, did i? I already sealed the boot. I'm still confused. Can you be more specific? Don't know names, lol.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The two larger bearings go on the cv joint! One bearing on the cv then it slips into the strut,the place the other bearing on the cv shaft on the outer part of the strut.Then the armature plate,hilliard,then one inner HUB bearing. Slip the hub on then install the last bearing.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
But don't grease up the bearings!!
PLUS fill at the 12 o'clock position until almost full so all the bearings can get fluid,then turn to the 4 o'clock position and drain excess fluid. A little extra won't hurt!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Range Rover

Omg, that took forever. I have a head ache now, lol. I'm done. All i got to do is put the wheel on and put On Demand Fluid in tomorrow. Then i'm ready to ride!!!