Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

95 Polaris 400...a couple issues

Old 06-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, do you think id be ok riding it the way it is for now? Until I get a cover from fleebay

Old 06-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Won't hurt anything,will just be noisy at an idle.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer

Took her for a ride yesterday, it ran great...when it was on. We took a break after some technical riding and when I went to start it it would just click. Would that be the solenoid? I find this completely odd because I started and turned it off atleast ten times at my house before I went for the ride just to make sure it would start again.

The trail was pretty rough with stumps and whatnot do you think something got wiggled loose

Edit: Can these quads be 'bomb/jump' started?

Old 06-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer

I printed the "electric starter system test sequence" page off that pdf file you gave me I suspect it would be the solenoid?

Old 06-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check first that the battery is good(have it load tested if necessary) and connections are tight.With a meter or test light see if you are getting power to the solenoid starter wire.If you are getting power through the solenoid,you could have a starter problem.Elimininate one thing at a time.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Trailblazer

I haven't gotten a chance to diagnose whats going on with the estart. Today I got my sheave in it comes with the little spring for the ratchet. Hopefully we get some nice days outside so I can get out there an get it in. Now for the chain would I be able to loosen it now with it all together like the book says with a pin in the sprocket hole and the hole in the main housing, would doing this make it easier to put back on?

O and would the recoil housing from a 06 800 sportsman work with my setup?

Old 06-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you're talking about the rear chain,yes the pin punch usually works ok through the sprocket into the housing. Just roll backwards to get the most slack,after the chain is on roll forwards until you have about 3/8-1/2" slack in the middle of the chain.
An 800 clutch cover will work,BUT you'd either have to modify the air exhaust tube(your tube is small) to fit the lager opening or find and exhaust tube for the 800 and make it fit. Just try to find a 98-2000 year model cover for any Polaris,will be a stronger cover,less likely to warp and you'll have less problems adapting it.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Trailblazer

O and what do you use to lubricate the chain?

Old 06-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

I am referring to the middle chain, it gets in my way when im trying to get access to the recoil housing and the bolts.

Okay I will look for those on fleebay, I meant will the recoil housing from an 06 800 sportsman work for my polaris? (theres a guy locally parting out his sportsman thats why I ask)

Old 06-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

On the middle chain I just removed the rear sprocket with the chain on it and moved it aside to get clearance to remove the recoil housing. SORRY Recoil housing! NO an 800 won't fit,but most other model 400s will fit, a 500 recoil or any other 4 stroke cover won't work because of the bendix location,on the top. Your bendix is on the bottom.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 Polaris 400...a couple issues