Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

05 sportsman 400 reverse awd problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 sportsman 400 reverse awd problem

I have awd foward but not reverse all indicators work n override gives the hub 12v any ideas

Old 06-25-2013, 01:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you haven't change front diff fluid in awhile do this first and see if it helps.If you have power to the front diff when you push the over ride button in reverse but don't have awd,possible plastic roll cage or armature plate problem that was common on these models.Roll cage,armature plate and faulty ground wires caused most of the problems. The reverse limiter itself is built into the speedo on 2000 and later models. You can try jumping the brown/white wire from the speedo connector to a good ground and see if it helps or splice into the front diff brown(ground wire) and jump it to a good frame ground. If it doesn't help, the problem could be in the front diff roll cage/plate.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you haven't change front diff fluid in awhile do this first and see if it helps.If you have power to the front diff when you push the over ride button in reverse but don't have awd,possible plastic roll cage or armature plate problem that was common on these models.Roll cage,armature plate and faulty ground wires caused most of the problems. The reverse limiter itself is built into the speedo on 2000 and later models. You can try jumping the brown/white wire from the speedo connector to a good ground and see if it helps or splice into the front diff brown(ground wire) and jump it to a good frame ground. If it doesn't help, the problem could be in the front diff roll cage/plate.
The fluid was just changed when I took it apart to check it becaus I did t have it forward because reverse polarity roller cage did not look broke mayb it's cracked?

Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Cracked roll cages were what I found most. Doesn't have to be totally destroyed.Plus did you replace the armature plate while you had it apart?http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2005&fveh=5659 Roll cage and armature shows to have been updated.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cracked roll cages were what I found most. Doesn't have to be totally destroyed.Plus did you replace the armature plate while you had it apart?Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Roll cage and armature shows to have been updated.
No did not change plate dealer wants 200 for the plate

Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just look at the prices on the link I gave you.Cheaper than most dealers.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just look at the prices on the link I gave you.Cheaper than most dealers.
Do they make a stronger Roller cage also howto I tell the armature plate is good or bad

Old 06-26-2013, 05:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Later model 500s offer an aluminum roll cage,plus some have used John Deer roll cages,armature plates,etc,but not sure on your 400 if it would work. It's a given if you replace a roll cage always replace the armature plate. In your case the updated roll cage and armature plate both for around $175 from Cycle Parts Warehouse might be the best way to go if you're going to rebuild the front diff.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Later model 500s offer an aluminum roll cage,plus some have used John Deer roll cages,armature plates,etc,but not sure on your 400 if it would work. It's a given if you replace a roll cage always replace the armature plate. In your case the updated roll cage and armature plate both for around $175 from Cycle Parts Warehouse might be the best way to go if you're going to rebuild the front diff.
116 .from the site but iv looked they only have plastic for the 400 what would cause this to roller cage to break

Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The plastic roll cages break just from the stress of locking the front drive shafts,doesn't matter what model as they've all had problems.Possible the John Deere parts will work. See if this link helps.http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...r-rebuild.html

Quick Reply: 05 sportsman 400 reverse awd problem