Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2005 Polaris sportsman 90 2 stroke no power to starter

Old 08-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Polaris sportsman 90 2 stroke no power to starter

I purchased this quad and it looks nice but the guy said something electrical just stopped on it. I hook jumper box to the battery and the neutral light comes on but nothing else. Push the start button and nothing happens, no clicking no nothing. Guy I got it from said something about the diode? I checked the lanyard kill switch and pressed it in by hand but still nothing. Any other safety features or ideas? I'm pulling my hair out on this one?

Old 08-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

There's a starter interlock/brake light switch on the left brake control. If the brake light is working when you pull it,then the switch should be okay. The square starter relay under the seat could be the problem "if" the interlock switch is ok and you also tie the two wires from the tether switch together(to eliminate it) and it still doesn't start. Here's the switch if it's faulty,plus the relay. Plus you can use a simple test light or meter directly to the starter wire to see if it's getting power also when you hit the start button.Basically three things have to be right to get power to the starter: Starter interlock/brake light switch, tether (dead man) switch and the starter relay. #18 is the relay.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
#19 is the brake/interlock switch.http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2005&fveh=5660

Old 08-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you so much for the information and help. The good news is I got it cranking with the starter. It was apparently the handlebar switch. I took it apart and cleaned it hit the start button a few times and it started cranking. Bad news now is there is no spark at the plug. Could it also be something in the switch assembly? So far I've swapped plugs, coils, jumper wired the lanyard switch. I swear this little 4 wheeler may be the death of me. Any direction from here is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Stators were the most problem area we had on the youth models as far as spark related problems. You can pull the plastic cover and clean up the dirt around the flywheel and pick up coil to see if it helps. You can check the stator wires leading to the cdi to eliminate it as a problem. Black to Black/red 800 ohms resistance, Black to White/Red 450 ohms, Black to Yellow/Red 0.5.Black to White 0.6,and Black to ground should read 0 ohms. Also pull the black wire from the cdi(kill circuit) to see if you have spark then.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I cleaned the stator area and flywheel up with carb cleaner and it fired right up. The area behind the plastic cover was filthy with mud and grime. Thank you to "old polaris tech" for getting me on the right track. I see your in northern Texas and since I'm in southern Oklahoma we are almost neighbors. I owe you a beer or lunch sometime for sure. Now I'll be trying to put the tranny back together on the 07 sportsman 90. Easier said than done I bet since when I got it it was already apart.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Long trip for me,but I'll meet you here. Name the time The Big Texan: Home To The Free 72oz Steak

Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have been by there several times but never tried it out yet. Your right on the long trip for both of us, too bad there isn't one a little closer. Again, thank you for your help and what you do on this forum.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I worked for hours on my sons 2006 90 CC polaris because the start button would not work. I replaced the relay, completely removed the wiring, battery, etc. and check all conections. I found the problem. It was a hidden diode. On the starter button that is part of the on/off and horn unit there is a black wire that is in the harness that plugs into another reds pug. If you remove all the tape and shrink wrap you will find a tiny diode. I remove this and connected the wires and it now works. Shame on Polaris for putting a diode in a place where no one can find it or get to it. That is like putting your breaker box behind the drywall for no one to get to. Anyhow, problem is now fixed and I hope this will help others.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by vracing18
I worked for hours on my sons 2006 90 CC polaris because the start button would not work. I replaced the relay, completely removed the wiring, battery, etc. and check all conections. I found the problem. It was a hidden diode. On the starter button that is part of the on/off and horn unit there is a black wire that is in the harness that plugs into another reds pug. If you remove all the tape and shrink wrap you will find a tiny diode. I remove this and connected the wires and it now works. Shame on Polaris for putting a diode in a place where no one can find it or get to it. That is like putting your breaker box behind the drywall for no one to get to. Anyhow, problem is now fixed and I hope this will help others.
Same thing on the stators on the little ones. The pick up coil is part of the stator assy instead of being able to get it separate like the full size machines. Same on all control switches. They consider them non serviceable and want you to replace the whole thing.Can't just blame Polaris on this as most youth machines no matter what brand are from Taiwan.Most people don't have the patience/experience to replace individual parts,but hopefully your post will help those that do like to tear things apart.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am new to the forum so nice to meet everyone.

I would like to revisit this a bit if possible. I am having the same issues but need to clarify a couple things.

I can start the wheeler by running a jumper wire from the positive to the starter. But nothing from the starter switch. I took apart the switch assembly before reading this post and tested with an ohm meter. It is working at the switch.

Now the clarification I need. Should the brake light come on without the atv running when pulling the brake lever? I checked the bulb and it is fine. When I do start the wheeler, there is no tail light or brake light. Is there suppose to be a tail light when running?

So does that relay tie into it not having a tail light?

Thanks for the help! Jess

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Polaris sportsman 90 2 stroke no power to starter