Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1999 Xplorer 400 Charging Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 03:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't disconnect the battery while running as it can damage the electrical components such as the cdi,blow out lights,etc. This is a old style magneto triggered ignition system and yes it mainly supplies power to the ignition system and to the regulator/rectifier,but disconnecting a battery can cause spikes that can damage components. The newer systems are dci and must have a battery for ignition. The battery on the older systems are mainly for the electric starter and lighting systems,electrical accessories, along with supplying voltage for the cooling fan operation. If you have a dead battery or it's not charging you run the risk of it overheating on you by not being able to trigger the fan motor.90% of the time it's a regulator/rectifier problem and they're cheap to replace to at least eliminate it as the problem,plus have the battery load tested if you're not sure about it as a dead cell can keep one from holding a charge. Polaris ATV Rectifier Regulator

Old 09-24-2013, 05:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Battery is brand new, 13.2 volts charged up measured 2 days later. Voltage does not rise at all with the machine running. I just disconnected to test, will not run the machine without a battery.

Could just the charging system of the Stator not be working and the ignition part working?

John

Old 09-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes it can be just part of the stator as it does supply ignition and charging separately.Another simple test is to check the yellows coming from the stator to each other and individually to ground. Should show some resistance between each other and no wire should short to ground.I mentioned the regulator as it's the most common part to fail and the cheapest, especially since you're not sure about the stator charge coil.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:13 AM
Trailblazer

I have 98 xplorer with plow and winch it works fine for hour or so then loses power to winch been charging overnight...my battery is old car battery could the quad not b charging or could it just b battery..doe?s it have to b fresh battery for charging system to work

Old 02-11-2014, 08:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Old car battery probably says it all. Just get the right battery,plus while it's running at an idle it should be charging between 14-14.5 volts at the battery terminals. Even if it does show charging is ok,if the old battery has a dead cell or sulfated it wont hold a charge.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Trailblazer

Thank u sir

Old 02-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer

I have 1998 explorer 400 ...light on dash came on today the one to the far right but all the lenses are gone...was wondering what that means..when I rev it up it dims..at idle it is bright????????

Old 02-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Did you change out that old car battery to the correct battery? What's the charging voltage at the battery at an idle? A regulator can under charge or even over charge and the excess voltage can hit the bulbs. Plus it could just simply mean you're about to blow a bulb any way.It does happen. Item #2. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 02-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer

No still have car battery...I had just got done charging...u think battery??? Can u tell me what that last light on instrument cluster is supposed to represent??? As all my lenses r busted..

Old 02-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Probably the battery is the problem if the regulator's charging back to it and it can't hold a charge because of a dead cell or it's sulfated. The charge from the regulator/rectifier has to go some where and if the battery can't take it the bulbs are usually the first to go as they have the least resistance.Don't know how many headlight,instrument panel bulbs and dead batteries we changed over the years because of this. Been too long as to the order of the indicators for me to remember,old age I guess. Think it's the order they're listed. May be right,may be wrong. Item #2.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Get a BB or YB 14AA2 battery!

Quick Reply: 1999 Xplorer 400 Charging Issues