Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1999 Xplorer 400 Charging Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Xplorer 400 Charging Issues

Hi, new member here. Would really appreciate any help.

Recently got a 1999 Xplorer 400. Have been working to get it going, have the engine running only problem is charging is not working.

I have tested at the battery with revving the engine up and get nothing. I have continuity from the red wire from the regulator to the battery. I have tried testing the Stator from the wires that plug into the regulator, all I get is a open circuit. Open circuit testing to ground and between the wires. I think I got a reading in mega ohms from the brown/white wire to ground but nothing anywhere else.

I also tried testing AC amps between the yellow and yellow/red wire coming from the sator. Get 0 reading on that with the ATV idling.

Does the Red/White, Yellow and Brn/White wires run directly from the stator to the regulator? Could there be a plug under the gas tank? What is the significance of doing the AC amp test with a good and fully charged battery?

I would have thought if the stator was bad I would at least get some kind of ohm reading. I am afraid of ordering a regulator and then also having to replace the stator.

Maybe my testing is flawed, testing from the wrong wires.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

John

Old 09-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Should read 5 amps between the yellow and yellow/red at idle,but could just be your meter.Also you need to pull start it not elec start for the ac test.You can try again with a good peak meter like a Fluke,but most of the time it's still a regulator/rectifier problem.Here's a cheap place to get em.http://www.psep.biz/store/polaris_at..._regulator.htm

Old 09-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do i need a meter that measures AC amps? Put one probe on yellow wire and another on red wire and start with recoil.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes,meter has to be set on ac amps. Pull start it,let it come to an idle then test the amperage on the yellow and yellow/red wires. Should be around 5 amps,but could be a little less and still a regulator problem.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tried a different multi-meter and have the same results, also tried measuring AC volts at the three wires yel/brn, red/brn and yel and got between 2.5v and 4.5v which seems quite low. Guessing it must be a problem with the stator.

When I got the ATV was missing the recoil housing and the flywheel looked quite rusty. Do you think dirt and rust could have caused the problem?

What concerns me is the open circuit on all the charging coils. Wishing the problem was the regulator because it's quite a bit cheaper than a new stator.

Thanks

John

Old 09-18-2013, 06:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You measure just the two wires only while at an idle on amperage. You said 4.5 volts,but if you meant amps,this is close and I'd just replace the cheaper of the two first,the regulator.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

No, I get 0 with AC amps across red/yellow and yellow and get open circuit with ohms on all wires, and open circuit from all wires to ground just thought I would try AC volts to see if I get anything.

Thanks

John

Old 09-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Well then since you said it was missing the recoil housing in your post,possible you could have a bad charging coil in the stator if it was exposed to the elements. Don't know if you've pulled the flywheel to see if you can clean the inside of it and the stator also,but if you have and no difference,here's a fairly cheap price on stators.I've used them before and had good luck.
If you don't see your model listed,give em a call. A lot cheaper than the dealers or most online parts houses that want close to $400 for an oem stator.Ricky Stator

Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK Thanks, will try to pull the flywheel this weekend and see how things look in there.

Will let you know what I find.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update

Have not had a chance to pull the flywheel, been working on other issues like carb and clutch. Think I have that stuff sorted.

We are going on a ATV trip shortly and was thinking I could leave the stator for last. So thinking about it I thought what would happen if I disconnected the battery, which I have been keeping well charged with a trickle charger. What I thought was as soon as I disconnect the battery the bike should die, not what happened, ran fine. Then I shut it off and tried the pull start and fired up fine.

So I guess my question is, does the ignition part of the stator supply power to the coil and cdi? If that is the case I should be fine for day time riding? If not why is the charging system not working. All the tests I've done are pointing to the stator and not the regulator.

Thanks again for all your help.

John

Quick Reply: 1999 Xplorer 400 Charging Issues