Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

magnum rear hub question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnum rear hub question

i recently became the proud owner of a 2000 polaris magnum 500 . it currently sits on 10'' rims with bald tires in the rear . i have a new set of tires on 12'' rims ready to be bolted on . the only problem is that the new tires are mounted on rims with a 4x156 bolt pattern and the hubs on the magnum are 4/4'' . i was hoping someone might know if a set of hubs from another year/model would have the 4x156 bolt pattern and fit the splines on the axle of the magnum . thanks in advance for your help . capt bart

Old 01-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 01-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

thank you for your reply OPT . 325 magnum hubs shouldn't be to hard to source . by any chance do you know where i could find the spline count and shaft diameter of the hubs to cross reference with the hubs i'm currently stuck with ?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:46 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

They both have the same axle dia. since the both use a 35x64x37mm wheel bearing. (Yet both get a different Part number for the same size bearing.)
Can't see Polaris bothering to change the spline count.

If you look at the parts fich the axles look the same. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

and

Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

They have a strange system, some times the same part gets a different part number.

If your buying used get the guy to count the spline to make sure.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the information TLC . i'm sure i'll get this figured out sooner or later . i think you might be giving the polaris designers a little to much credit though . the fact that they use the same bearing on both machines might not be intentional . after all they did manage to send a great many machines out of the door with two completely different lug patterns . who does stuff like that ?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

i would like to thank everyone who helped me with this problem . i found a set of 03 predator hubs today that should do the trick . should be up for some serious mayhem in a few days . see ya out in the woods . bart

Old 02-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by capt bart
i would like to thank everyone who helped me with this problem . i found a set of 03 predator hubs today that should do the trick . should be up for some serious mayhem in a few days . see ya out in the woods . bart
I have 2000 magnum 325 and have been trying to figure out how to get the 4x156 wheels and tires I have to fit. Did the predator hubs fit your splines? Did you ever find out if any other machines have the right hubs like the 02-05 magnums? Thanks for your help.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

hello bakada - hear is what i know about the 03 predator hub swap . the predator hubs have the same shaft diameter and spline count as my stock magnum 500 hubs . where they differ is the predator hubs are just a little longer than the stock hubs and won't allow the castle nut to thread onto the axle far enough to let the cotter pin fit through the hole in the axle . if you know someone with a lathe or mill to counterbore the outside face of the hubs then this problem is an easy fix . the next problem you are likely to encounter is proper backspacing . apparently the hub to hub measurement on straight axle machines is less than the hub to hub measurement on the irs machines . i got around this problem by using factory polaris 12'' steel rear wheels with a 5+2 backspacing and flipping them around so that the tire valve is now on the inside and the wheel now has a 2+5 backspacing . this won't work with aluminum wheels and aftermarket wheels with the proper backspacing are not cheap or easy to find . i hope some of this information is helpful and your project goes well . capt bart

Old 02-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

bacada - on another post on this forum titled '' 97 trail boss hub question '' a member named hw1353 found some 12'' steel rims that will fit the 4x4 bolt pattern you have now . i don't know if this will help but i figured another option can't hurt .

Old 02-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Capt,
Thanks for the reply. After reading your first post I went ahead and took a chance and bought some 03 magnum 330 hubs off ebay. The 330 was a straight axle and everything looks similar I just hope the splines match up. They should but you never know. I have 2 other Polaris machines and wanted to be able to carry one spare when we go out on long trips. A front 4x156 should fit them all but the back wheels on the 2000 so I have been trying to figure out what I can do. Thought about having some custom spacers made that would go from the 4x4 to the 4x156. I have some factory chrome wheels I can use. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: magnum rear hub question