Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Carb help- Polaris sportsman 90

Old 07-11-2015, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb help- Polaris sportsman 90

I bought a new carburetor for my Polaris 90. I want to know where do I connect the choke and how do I connect it? Please help! It's a 2005 Polaris sportsman 90. I tried looking on YouTube and found nothing and also searched on Google.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Did you buy the electric choke model or the manual choke carb?

Old 07-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer

Manual choke. Mine is a manual choke atv so I bought the manual carb.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just have the choke lever off so you have the cable end fully extended. The new carb should have the brass screw in adjuster,spring and choke plunger. Remove the adjuster,spring and plunger should drop out.Push the cable through the adjuster,slide on the spring,then compress the spring with your fingers back far enough to slip the cable end in the slotted choke plunger.Slide the choke lever on the handle bars to fully open. This pulls the cable,spring,plunger in far enough to where you can insert it into the carb and screw the adjuster down. When starting the manual or electric choke models still easier if you block off the air box inlet tube with your thumb on initial crank up when cold. Allows quicker starting. When warm,not necessary to do this procedure again if you kill it. Should crank right back up. Look at the choke diagram on the parts break down.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 07-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer

Hmmm... Could you post a picture of the carb that has where the cable is supposed to go in circled? When you say spring i don't know where a spring is. If I knew exactly where to put it in I think I could figure out what you mean by the instructions you gave me. Thanks for the help btw!

Old 07-11-2015, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

Actually looking at the diagram it shows the choke like going into the gas line? I'm confused. I'll look it over some more sorry I'm being confusing I'm on my phone right now so it's hard to make it all out. I'll check it out later on the computer to see exactly where everything is.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Do you even have an carb on the machine now? If so,it's just cut and dry as to replacing one along with the cables. Even if the new carb choke just has the adjuster and doesn't supply the spring and plunger,you can reuse the ones on the old carb. Here's a video on the choke circuit. Different carb and location for the choke plunger,but operation is the same for your 90.Your choke assy is to the right of the carb slide and fuel line inlet.
Your choke adjuster is the brass piece on the right side of this carb.

Attached Thumbnails Carb help- Polaris sportsman 90-_57.jpg  
Old 07-12-2015, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah I hooked it all up and everything else on it. Tried to crank it and no luck. I don't think its gonna run unless I put more money into it and I'm all out of money so Im just going to sell it as is. It's a LOT better than it was when I got it. I'll sell it to someone who has another 100 to get it running right. I already took care of almost everything wrong with it. Thanks for the help! I might get another project to work on later on.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

What all have you done? Compression good,spark ok?

Old 07-12-2015, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

I changed the gear oil, cleaned out the engine and stuff since there was dirt and grime inside, cleaned the gas tank, bought a brand new carburetor, brand new spark plug, new head gasket, and new crankcase gasket. When I kick start it, it wil kick and the thing will spin (I forgot what it's called but I can see it spin real good because I have the case off) but the kick start lever will just sit there and I have to pull it up manually. Could that be from bad compression? Even though it spins good? Could I start it by roll starting it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carb help- Polaris sportsman 90