Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2000 Polaris xpedition 425 help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Polaris xpedition 425 help

Hello there, this is my first post. I recently purchased a 2000 Polaris 425 expedition for 700$. They said they were selling it because they switched it into reverse to load it on a trailer and it didn't switch out. Well after I got it and started investigating I found that wasn't exactly the case. It was stuck in reverse, but it looks like they sunk the quad. The oil and gas were both white and milky, the frame was packed with mud. The reverse actuator had a big crack in it so I'm assuming that's where the water got in. Anyway when I jumped the solenoid it started right up, so that was the first good sign. I drained the **** oil and gas, took the clutch cover off and starting fiddling with the shifter and reverse actuator, finally got it into neutral and it shifted through the gears fine. I was psyched! So I put a new gasket on put the clutch cover on filled it with gas and oil started that baby up and went to shift into first, but the shifter is stuck again, took the cover off again, shifted fine, put the cover on, won't shift. I must be doing something wrong with the cover. There's a little fork looking thing with bearings inside the cover, I'm guessing it's the release. When it's in neutral, which way should the forks be facing? I think if I get this cover on right it should work and after a few oil changes all of the muk should be out and I'll have a decent quad for cheap! Also the splines on the shifter shaft are shot. I'm assuming the previous owner was trying to force it when they got it stuck in reverse. Is it a hard job to change out? I know the xpedition isn't a popular model and was only sold for a few years so info is limited on the net. I'm not exactly a mechanic either so try to bare with me. Thanks in advance for any replies!!!

Old 08-17-2015, 05:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The two problems you're having,the stripped shift lever and the reverse actuator module were the main problems we had at the shop on the Expedition. Shift lever splines were real soft,plus if the locking bolt wasn't kept tight the splines would strip. I had to replace several shift levers. Same for the reverse actuator module. They kept going out. You could shift manually,but that got tiresome. Not cheap on the shift lever or the actuator on this machine.#22 and #31,but the actuator has been updated. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 08-17-2015, 06:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

I actually found someone that was parting out an expedition on eBay and they had both the shift lever and the actuator so I ordered them last night. Would either of those be the cause for me not being able to shift into first from neutral with the cover on? Thanks for the input

Old 08-17-2015, 06:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Really don't know.. If it shifts into first ok with the cover off,then it may be the cover is binding. Just see how it does with the other actuator.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Would the return lever position inside the cover have anything to do with it?

Old 08-18-2015, 06:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Njrider1230
Would the return lever position inside the cover have anything to do with it?
Again not sure on this,don't know what all you've done.Just try the used reverse actuator module and see how it operates..

Old 07-29-2023, 05:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

At first glance, the Polaris Xpedition looks a lot like the General, a vehicle Polaris has seen much success with over the years. But the Polaris Xpedition Accessories is all-new and shares almost no components with the beloved General. In development for nearly five years, the fresh chassis needed to be extraordinarily stiff to support the fully enclosed cab, plus be capable of carrying a lot more equipment than your typical UTV. Upgrade your Polaris Xpedition UTV with Kemimoto's recommended adventure-ready accessories like Bluetooth speakers, light strips, and mirrors, ensuring your side-by-side is fully equipped for your ever-evolving escapades.