Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 01:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI no start

I am having difficulty in diagnosing and repairing My sportsman. I rode it last June and it ran fine. I have not been able to go out until 2 weeks ago. It would not start unless I used starting fluid. If I feather the fluid into the air filter it will continue to run. I changed the gas by taking the fuel inlet off and cycling the key until the tank was empty. Put new fuel in and no luck. I pulled the injector and it seemed like there were 2 ports plugged. I cleaned it by pressurizing the injector with a syringe of brake cleaner and activating the injector with a 9 volt battery. I am now getting a very strong stream from the injector. I also pulled the pump and used a similar set up to verify and clean it out. Put everything back together and still no start except with the starter fluid. Any suggestions?
Another question that could be related. When I pulled the plastic off I found a 3 pin connector that did not seem to go to anything. The wires are Black, Blue, and Green. one of the pins was full of mud but the other two were clean and appeared to have been connected to something. When I pulled the EFI port cover to look at it I was surprised to see nothing in there?
I hope I have given enough info for someone to lead me in the right direction.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The three prong plug is probably the tester plug they used on the assembly line. It normally tucks under the head light pod area. You say you cleaned,primed up the injectors with brake fluid and sprayed good when powered up,but when hooked up wont start,just with starting fluid. Have you checked the pump pressure? Must hold 39 psi with no noticeable drop in pressure. Sounds like it's just not getting gas.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have not put a gauge on it. We do have ethanol fuel here, hence cleaning everything with brake cleaner. The flow rate seemed "alright" when I emptied the tank and ran it during my cleaning process. I will get a gauge on it and see what the pressure is.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Finally got to put a little time into T/S this thing. I have not been able to acquire a fuel pressure gauge so I went ahead and pulled the codes. I got a 47 and 51 when i down loaded them. I tried to ohm the I ac and it would not give me any readings except for one time when i got a 30 ohm between pins one and two. I will get some electro wash and clean them before the next time i check it. I pulled the negative for 10 minutes and got an additional code of 45. I will keep searching for a pressure gauge but that is my findings to date. I also pulled the wire loom off on the TPS and IAC and could not feel any loose or soft wires to the connectors.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Problem may not be fuel related since you're throwing codes especially code 45. Make sure the temp sensor at the back of the air box is clean,plus you may wont to pull up the map sensor and check the condition of the grommet. Had several that split and leaked air. Item#9.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse If the grommet is in good shape possible that it could be the map sensor connector and wiring which relates to the 45 code. This was the most common problem we had on efi machines,wiring and connectors. Sometimes wires may or may not have a bare spot or soft feeling wires,but could be in the connector itself. This place has a lot better harness repair kits than the ones I constantly had to replace. The second harness on this list.Only The Best

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI no start-3_positionbap.jpg  
Old 01-04-2016, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update. Finally had more time and warmer temps to work on this thing. I rewired the injector, the TPS, the IAC, and the MAP sensor. still no start except with starting fluid. I now have codes 22, 41,45,47 and 51. It seems the more I do the worse it becomes. I still have not been able to acquire a pressure tester but I think I can rent one from an auto parts store. Any one run into this and have a cure?

Old 01-05-2016, 02:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Get the t-bap harness repair kit from Only The Best if the fuel pump pressure holds steady at 39psi..

Old 01-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I received the harness from OTB yesterday. I will replace it tomorrow. I have a dumb question that hopefully hasn't shot me in the foot to this point. Does the intake have to be completely put together for proper operation? At this point I only have the throttle body in place and the four wheeler only starts when starting fluid is sprayed into the throttle body.
I understand that the sensor "talk" to each other. If comms are not there because I have the intake apart I am not going to be happy with myself.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes best to have the air box and filter hooked up,but it should crank up and at least idle without it. Replace the air box and the harness kit and see how it does.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

exact same symptoms I'm having and the guy just cuts out and leaves me hanging. So Game of Thrones of him. sheesh.

Would sure be nice to know the ending to this story

Quick Reply: 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI no start