Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

87 cyclone 250x not starting/no fuel?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 87 cyclone 250x not starting/no fuel?????

i ust got a polaris cyclone 250 for 150 bucks needs everything for the rear brakes everything for front brakes needs air box yohda yohda yohda found it all have it ordered didnt cost to much im fine with it now.... i have been trying to get it to run so what did i do i checked for spark plenty of that checked for compression has 130psi sounds good to me now fuel feed line is clear gas flows through feed line as far as can tell the bowl atleast some what fills with gas cuz every time i take it off there a bunch in it but when ever i pull start it nothing now if i put some gas right into the carb itl start run for a sec turn off even if i try partially restricting air flow same thing if i spray gas into carb when its running it will stay running i have tore down the carb three time the check it over and make sure all ports are clean and everything but no luck so now im ust curious if maybe i ust have a bum carb or if a rebuild kit still might fix her up or if i should look for another carb cuz any time i pull on trottle litterally no fuel comes out any and all info helps thanks

Old 12-16-2015, 01:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 12-16-2015, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply i actyally just decided to bite the bullet and buy a new carb all together a mikuni 38mm round slide but i have just never had a carb do this befor all yhe ports looked clear like i said tested at 130 psi after 3 pulls so it has plenty of compression i know these motors dont have reeds idk if maybe there something different thatbis in place in stead idk all i know is i spray fuel into carb it starts but wont suck fuel from carb

Old 12-16-2015, 01:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the bottom end compression is bad(leaking crank seals) 2 stroke engines won't run no matter how good the top end compression is. A lot of people over look seals and their importance.What confuses people is that some will run a little with starting fluid because it's lighter than gas and sprayed directly in the engine,but if seals are leaking an engine can't create a vacuum strong enough to pull fuel in from the carb and compress the fuel/air mixture. This mixture then shoots up the transfer ports for ignition.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I thought about that but then changed coarse because i didnt see any obvious leaking any way to check the seals im used to dirtbikes not so much quads especually quads that have sbowmobile motors in them lol

Old 12-16-2015, 06:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by stow_senior
I thought about that but then changed coarse because i didnt see any obvious leaking any way to check the seals im used to dirtbikes not so much quads especually quads that have sbowmobile motors in them lol
Again crank seals are just like carb float needles, something you just can't look at to see if they're ok...Best to either do a leak down test to verify or just go ahead and at least replace the one behind the drive clutch as this is the one that always causes the most trouble.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would do that with the piston at the bottom or top of its stroke

Old 12-16-2015, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Btw any idea where i can find crank bearings for this thing are the bearings from 88 trail boss the same

Old 12-17-2015, 07:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Plenty of them along with crank seals on ebay. Part numbers changed over the years,but the crank shafts didn't. These can fit your 88 model also.New Engine Crank Bearing Seal Polaris Trail Blazer Xplorer Trail Boss 250 | eBay

Old 12-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

So update if anyone cares i found that the drain plug for the crank case was missing but even after putting a new plug in the thing still barely ran so still think it nees crank seals so once i get he running completely ill update what it took thanks for the info

Quick Reply: 87 cyclone 250x not starting/no fuel?????