Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Carb Question - 2003 Polaris Sportsman 90

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Question - 2003 Polaris Sportsman 90

New to the site. I ordered a replacement carburetor for 2003 Polaris Sportsman 90. When I received the new one, the vacuum fitting had broken off during shipping. Can this entire brass fitting be removed and replaced, or is it molded into the body of the carb? Also, if I install the new carb without hooking up this vacuum tubing, what are the implications? Another new carb is on the way. But, I really wanted to install the part this weekend to see if it fixes sputtering and poor idling issues. If I install the new carb with the broken vacuum fitting (until the new, new carb arrives), what will likely be the risk? Please share your expertise. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's the brass barbed fitting on the side of the carb it's not a vacuum line but the oil injection nozzle.. Only way I'd crank one up this way is to have the fitting blocked off and the fuel premixed 40/1. If it's the capped vacuum on top that's not used anyway but if it's broken off,just temporarily place some tape over this area to try out the carb.

Attached Thumbnails Carb Question - 2003 Polaris Sportsman 90-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 02-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If it's the brass barbed fitting on the side of the carb it's not a vacuum line but the oil injection nozzle.. Only way I'd crank one up this way is to have the fitting blocked off and the fuel premixed 40/1. If it's the capped vacuum on top that's not used anyway but if it's broken off,just temporarily place some tape over this area to try out the carb.
Ok. That you! That's an important thing. Looked all over the Internet and could not identify that nozzle from any diagrams. Thank you for letting me know what that is.